× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What after Disk Failure?

pogacsa
Aspirant

What after Disk Failure?

hi,

I am getting this message from my Duo v2 today:
Disk failure detected.

If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.

How can I ensure if this disk is really failed? Before this year I never had any hard drive issues. (Unfortunatelly I have two Hitachi Touro Desktop as well, and after one month of use of of them crashed - 2T drives). Now I have issue with Seagate 3T drives (two in my duo v2). Is this high capacity drives not as reliable as hard drive were is past? hmm.

So Please advise me how to perform some tests before complaining to Seagate.

thx,
Zol
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What after Disk Failure?

Connect the disk up to a SATA port in your PC and test it using SeaTools
Message 2 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

thanks.

I have removed failed disk from bay. The indicator led is flashing. Does it mean anything?

Attach to data is a bit pain as having iMac and laptops. I may need some data-usb cable.
No way to check from NAS? (I have this duo v2, and an old duo v1. V1 has root access, any linux tools to check?)

cu
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

pogacsa wrote:

I have removed failed disk from bay. The indicator led is flashing. Does it mean anything?

Not sure, but I think that would probably be because of the failed/removed disk.
pogacsa wrote:

Attach to data is a bit pain as having iMac and laptops. I may need some data-usb cable.

In that case the NAS could be used.
pogacsa wrote:

No way to check from NAS? (I have this duo v2, and an old duo v1. V1 has root access, any linux tools to check?)

On the v2. If you power down the NAS and put the disk in you can run the "Disk Test" boot option: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

There is an EnableRootSSH for the Duo/NV+ v2: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/arm/5.3/EnableRootSSH_1.0-arm.bin (of course you have to be aware of the same issues as for installing this on any other ReadyNAS).

On both the v1 and the v2 via SSH you can use the smartctl command (google for MAN page) to check the SMART stats on a drive. On the Duo v1 with 2 drives installed the drives are /dev/hdc and /dev/hde. On the Duo v2 with two drives installed the drives are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

Of course if you like you could open a support case (please post case number preferably editing the thread title - that is the subject of the first post in the thread - to include it) and seek their assistance for confirming why the disk is considered dead.
If you look at the status log (Dashboard > Configure > System > Info > Logs) do you see any reports of errors on the disk?

If you download the logs zip file (Dashboard > Configure > System > Info > Logs > Download logs), extract the zip contents there are disk_smart logs which may also indicate problems with the disk.
Message 4 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

oooh, today received another mail from NAS: as other disk is also going to damage.

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.

Disk 2:
Previous count: 0
Current count: 50008

ATA error count has increased in the last day.

Disk 2:
Previous count: 0
Current count: 12

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Are my disks really dead, or the NAS itself?

thx
Message 5 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

and unable to login, pwd not accepted anymore. It is really a pain.
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you opened a support case? What do they have to say?

I would say the disk is dead from looking at those numbers.
Message 7 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

not yet unfortunately. Just turn on back today with a single disk (what was reported earlier good, today this is the one having issues). My biggest problem now, unable to stop, turn off. On raidar a yellow box as status. Should I unplug? Pressed power btn for 20 secs, but nothing happened.

thx for help
Message 8 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

so, just unplugged. I have not found any way to clean shutdown.

With the empty NAS frame turned off then, no setup allowed, and again unable to turn off with the Power switch.

=> time for opening a support case.

thx a lot
Message 9 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Have you opened a support case? What do they have to say?...

I am unable to find where to open that support case.

thx
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Message 11 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

thank you.
Message 12 of 13
pogacsa
Aspirant

disks have been replaced by seagate, and it seemed to be fixed. But this afternoon again received a Smart error:
Detected increasing command timeouts[65537] on disk 2 [ST3000DM001-9YN166, W1F064BP]. This often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Is there any chance a disk again went wrong?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements