× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where to find maintenance utilities after update to 6.4.0?

HolgerGT86
Guide

Where to find maintenance utilities after update to 6.4.0?

Hello all,

I updated my ReadyNAS104 to 6.4.0 today. Before I had 6.2.4 installed.

Since the update to 6.4.0 I'm missing the maintenance utilities like

- rebalance

- disk test

- data scrub

I had schedules defined for them but now that menue seems to be is not available anymore with 6.4.0.

As there is not manual for 6.4 I searched here, but did not find details so far.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks and regards...Holger

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Where to find maintenance utilities after update to 6.4.0?

you may find defrag scrub balancing under the volume tab. just click on the "gear ring" and the selection will be shown

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

you may find defrag scrub balancing under the volume tab. just click on the "gear ring" and the selection will be shown

Message 2 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

Good morning cpu8088,

thanks for helping me on this one.

I did not even see the "gear ring" immediately when searching for it after reading your update.

I found it now but it's really hard to see.

You resolved my issue. Many thanks!

Regards...Holger

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You will see that both manual runs of volume maintenance and schedules are under that settings wheel in 6.4.0. The schedules were moved there as it is a more logical place to put it.

Message 4 of 10
everytime
Guide

I recently posted a question about my unit going offline (for all intents and purposes) for most of a workday while it was doing maintenance after upgrading to 6.4.0. I had thought that the OS did maintenance functions in the background and there was no need for any user initiated maintenance.

Then I discovered that there are maintenance programs and where to find them (Defrag, Scrub, Balance and Disk Test). I looked through the ReadyNAS Software and Hardware manuals but I did not see any information about what functions should be done and when.

So I have a question about these programs. Where can I find information from the manufacturer that documents what should be done and how often?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@everytime wrote:

So I have a question about these programs. Where can I find information from the manufacturer that documents what should be done and how often?

Netgear hasn't given any guidance on the schedule (though some Netgear folks likely have opinions).

I schedule everything quarterly (spacing out the four tests throughout the quarter).

Message 6 of 10
HolgerGT86
Guide

Good morning,

I execute each utility once a month.

When I remember correctly this was a suggestion in a forum thread in the "old" forum.

But, some utilities add heavy load to the spindles, which is not a problem for my NAS as it's only used as backup device and is most often idle.

Regards,

Holger

Message 7 of 10
everytime
Guide

Thanks for the tip.

My network is an all-Mac environment. From what I’ve learned about the Mac OS X, there’s no need to do any maintenance: Whether it’s OS X or Unix itself, Macs take care of all or most of their maintenance tasks behind the scenes. There are, of course, tools available to do these things manually.

But with ReadyNASes, I’m not confident with my knowledge of what I should be doing. Does Netgear provide any documentation or guidelines about tasks that the system admin should be doing manually weekly, monthly or quarterly? It would be helpful to have them—the manufacturer—provide guidelines.

In addition to the financial investment, the data on these boxes are crucial their owners. I simply want to do everything I can to keep it safe.

Once again, thank you.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's important to schedule the maintenance tasks to run at a time at which the NAS will be lightly used. Perhaps schedule a defrag and balance weekly and scrubbing every quarter.

Message 9 of 10
everytime
Guide

Good to know. Thank you.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements