× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why Netgear Sucks, let me count the ways #25412629

GGITech
Apprentice

Why Netgear Sucks, let me count the ways #25412629

So I have a 102 that was purchased Feb 15.
The device was installed, setup with LDAP, Surveillance, and Wordpress.
This was to re-create the exact installation I have on another 102.

The entire NAS was hosed out by the KNOWN bug of the Admin Interface lost issue. (remove an app, it trashes the entire thing)
I continued to use it as backups still worked. In May, It was time to figure out how to un screw this pile of steaming junk.
Thanks to one support person that fixed it from this forum, It is operational.

After that the drives would not mount on boot, so we did a factory reset.
Then proceed to try to re-create what was installed in Feb/March....this is when Netgear started sucking.

The major problem was:
- Installed Surveillance - get 30 day trial, expired before the admin interface was fixed, NO WAY TO try a 4 channel trial again
Support told me there was no way to re-light that back up, only way was to just pay for it (without trying) Sure, after this experience...not.
- Installed LDAP, set and working.... now LDAP is not an app that is available, so I am up shit creek with that. Period.
- Worst part, I have two other devices, specifically with LDAP running and working. They were not updated to 6.2.4 until yesterday. After update LDAP is still functional....

But now, If I every want to re-create this setup, I am out of luck, because "Netgear no longer supports that app or the vendor no longer supports it"

All the while, it is working on devices that I never had the pleasure of going through the total cluster that was 6.2.x
It seems that NO ONE at Netgear understands this issue, or the fact that there is no way to re-create an existing solution.
Maybe they think we are all idiots and when they pull an app they provide no way to return to the previous version....

Either way, I can never recommend the products again because the EXACT same device purchased 6 months ago can no longer have the EXACT same resources installed on it to provide the same functionality.

Moving to Qnap, thanks for playing.
Message 1 of 7
GGITech
Apprentice

Re: Why Netgear Sucks, let me count the ways

Not sure why I want to actually update anyone, since the internet is full of useless answers with nothing more than "me too" but I guess because I am that kind of solutions provider.
So after discussion with Level 1 support, who escalated the request to higher, here are your options.
- Downgrade the NAS Firmware to 6.2.2
- Install LDAP App (It is available for this firmware)
- Configure and Test
- Update Firmware to latest (6.2.4 at time of this writing)
I am testing this at current.
Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The LDAP app has been failing our testing since 6.1.9.

As the app developer has not submitted a new version of it and it no longer installs successfully we have removed the app.

I can't see an attempt to install it from the Available Apps section on 6.2.2 working as the app is no longer on our server.
Message 3 of 7
GGITech
Apprentice

As I figured, exercise in Failure.
Let's take a different approach.
- Head to RN102 with firmware 6.2.2 which has never been upgraded.
- Gui reports, fail to install LDAP-APP, ok, good info...probably the apt-get package.
Head back to 6.2.4, downgraded to 6.2.2
SSH as root
apt-get install ldap-app
...fail, depends on ldap-utils
apt-get install ldap-utils
Following extra will be installed, libldap-2.4-2, libsasl2-modules, libldap-2.4-2 will be upgraded
apt-get install ldap-app
Fail: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ldap-app : Depends: libldap-2.4-2 (= 2.4.31-1+nmu2) but 2.4.31-2 is to be installed
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
...this updates a ton of stuff....
apt-get install libsasl2-modules
...more updates
apt-get install ldap-app
Fail: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ldap-app : Depends: libldap-2.4-2 (= 2.4.31-1+nmu2) but 2.4.31-2 is to be installed
-----------
Ugh....keep digging.
Message 4 of 7
GGITech
Apprentice

Re: Why Netgear Sucks, let me count the ways #25412629

MDGM, as always, you are a super vortex of knowledge.

From all the unmet dependencies, I am going to try to manually update what is needed and see where it takes me.

...I guess I might have to abandon this as a single solution unit for the projects....and implement a Raspberry or just move to a Qnap.....

MDGM thanks for the input, I only wish support would have told me that first.
Message 5 of 7
GGITech
Apprentice

Seems that nothing can get me past the unmet dependencies...
apt-get install slapd ldapscripts
Admin Password?
Confirm?
Selecting previously unselected package ldapscripts.
Unpacking ldapscripts (from .../ldapscripts_2.0.1-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up libodbc1:armel (2.2.14p2-5) ...
Setting up libslp1 (1.2.1-9) ...
Setting up slapd (2.4.31-2) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Creating new user openldap... done.
Creating initial configuration... done.
Creating LDAP directory... done.
insserv: warning: script 'dnsserver' missing LSB tags and overrides
[ ok ] Starting slapd (via systemctl): slapd.service.
Setting up ldapscripts (2.0.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

...ok, getting going somewhere now.....
Message 6 of 7
GGITech
Apprentice

Too much work, I am too old to debug products like this.
Move to a RaspberryPi for the solution and possibly continue with ReadyNAS or just move to a single QNAP...

Good luck everyone.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements