× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless adapter for ReadyNAS PRO 6?

GregPope78
Aspirant

Wireless adapter for ReadyNAS PRO 6?

Greetings,

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 and I need to connect it wirelessly to my network, however it is not convenient to have it connected directly the wireless router.  Does anyone know if a wireless USB adapter plugged into one of the two, rear USB ports will do the job?  My router is also a Netgear, so I would think a Netgear wireless USB adapter is, theoretically, be compatible.

Cheers

Greg

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wireless adapter for ReadyNAS PRO 6?

No, the Pro 6 doesn't support wireless USB adapters.

Message 2 of 6
GregPope78
Aspirant

Cheers, thanks for that.

Would an Ethernet to wireless adapter, like the IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to wireless adapter, work?

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If that adapter is doing all the work and doesn't rely on the NAS at all, I guess so, though I've never tried an adapter like that.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

If that adapter is doing all the work and doesn't rely on the NAS at all, I guess so, though I've never tried an adapter like that.

It looks like it functions like a wireless bridge, if so it would work.  However, that particular product looks quite slow (150 mpbs link speed).  Something like this would run a lot faster: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7300.aspx#tab-idealuses  Though of course this also depends on the speed of your main WiFi router.  Which router model are you using?

Powerline might also work for you, but you'd need two units.

Message 5 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GregPope78,

The ReadyNAS USB ports are designed for USB disks only, legacy units' will work with printers too. USB adapters use have drivers and utility that will manage the USB adapter and ReadyNAS does not have capability of handling those. The best thing I can think of is connecting a wireless bridge like StephenB mentioned. WiFi extender that has LAN ports will also do, like this N300 WiFi extender.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements