× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Yet another Firefly Server iTunes 10.5+ issue

Z3NO
Aspirant

Yet another Firefly Server iTunes 10.5+ issue

I have installed the 1.0.3 update Firefly add-on and I get confirmation that the add-on was installed correctly.
iTunes sees the server and the tracks within it, as it should, however the add-on does not appear in the installed add-ons list in front view and I cannot access Firefly's control panel. I tried re-installing the latest firmware over itself and re-installing the add-on as someone suggested but the problem persists.

Any pointers?
Message 1 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Yet another Firefly Server iTunes 10.5+ issue

Not a bug. iTunes Streaming Server (Firefly) is found under Services > Streaming Services in Frontview.

If the service is enabled you can access the admin page at http://ip.address.of.nas:3689

Sometimes add-ons are provided to update services that need an urgent update when a firmware update is not imminent. This was one such case.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 27
oneclick
Aspirant

I too have installed the latest Firefly update after installing iTunes 10.5 when it all stopped working! After getting the following:

ERROR: start-stop-daemon -S -q -x /usr/sbin/mt-daapd

I read somewhere to Remove v1.0.0 and then successfully installed v1.0.3. I can now see iTunes Server in iTunes and music streams fine, however iTunes Server does not appear on the Streaming Services page of Frontview. This means I can't access the Firefly page and set up Smart Playlists etc.

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 27
oneclick
Aspirant

Have re-installed RAIDiator and then the Firefly 1.0.3 update and iTunes Server now working again!
Message 4 of 27
Bornslippy
Aspirant

Sorry - where is the update to Firefly 1.03 for ReadyNASPro ?
Message 5 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 6 of 27
bdevil90
Aspirant

My Problem with Firefly Setup

Here is my set up:

MacMini running OSX Lion
ReadyNAS NV+ running Radiator 4.1.8
Frontview shows iTunes Streaming Server checked and shows link for firefly at NAS ip:3689
Downloaded Itunes Streaming Server add-on 1.0.3 and added via System-Local and got message from my browser (Safari) that it was successfully added
My music is located on NAS share "Music" NOT NAS share "Media" because I have had it like that for years.
All of my music for iTunes is kept in my NAS share "Music" and that is where ITunes looks for it

When I click on the link to firefly in Frontview-Services-Itunes Streaming Server, I get a message stating that Safari cannot connect to the NAS Server, even though it CAN connect to the NAS Server for purposes of accessing Frontview.

I am admittedly NAS challenged, so please keep that in mind too.

Any suggestions on how to move forward with setting up firefly would be appreciated.

bdevil90
Message 7 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would try
1. Remove Firefly service
2. Do OS/firmware re-install to get it back (albeit the older version): http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu
3. Install 1.0.3 add-on update
4. Reconfigure Firefly
Message 8 of 27
Z3NO
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies!
I have since got Firefly sorted, but encountered a new problem along the way... don't really see the point of it.
I can just upload my whole music library to the ReadyNAS and access it via afp and retain all my playlists etc. I still have to have iTunes running on the laptop to access the library from Apple TV, so what purpose does Firefly serve that iTunes doesn't?

Am I missing out on something I don't know about?
Still quite new to NAS, so bear with me.
Cheers
Message 9 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Firefly allows you to stream DRM-free Music e.g. to iTunes clients without needing any of your Macs/PCs to be on all the time for it to work.
Message 10 of 27
Z3NO
Aspirant

Really? Does that mean I can play the library through Apple TV without having iTunes running on a Mac? Can you tell me how?
Cheers
Message 11 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. Firefly will stream to Firefly clients such as Apple iTunes. It does not stream to the AppleTV.

Edit: You can of course hack the AppleTV to install something like Plex on it and install Plex Media Server on the ReadyNAS.
Message 12 of 27
pucheteca
Aspirant

i have a question it might be dumm but i have your same problem, does reinstalling the firmware erase the data on the harddrive? i have 2 tb of info there i dont want to loose, i thought that wenn you to a firmware reset the raid will be reconstructed and this iimplies deleting and starting a new volume....

thanks your replies
Message 13 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Don't confuse OS/firmware re-install with factory default.

Firmware re-install leaves data intact.

Factory default wipes all data, settings, everything.
Message 14 of 27
ijhammo
Aspirant

Where can i get the 1.0.3 Firefly update? Have looked everywhere for it! :shock:
Message 15 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of RAIDiator are you running?
Message 16 of 27
hangglider
Aspirant

Like ijhammo, I too can't find the Firefly 1.03 update. The release notes for RAIDiator 4.1.10 (Sparc) for ReadyNAS NV+ are pretty thin and don't seem to indicate that the Firefly update is included. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 17 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you installed 4.1.10? Firefly should be able to stream your Music to iTunes after that firmware update has been installed. The firmware update is more reliable than installing the add-on

The Firefly update was included in 4.1.9. Since there is no change to Firefly between 4.1.9 and 4.1.10 there is no mention of it in the 4.1.10 Release Notes. Unfortunately there is no mention of it in the 4.1.9 Release Notes either but if you compare the 4.1.8 and 4.1.9 GPL you will see some changes for Firefly (mt-daapd). See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64509

I have compared the GPL of 4.1.9 and 4.1.10 and there are no GPL changes for Firefly (mt-daapd)

I would suggest updating to 4.1.10

If you like you could update to 4.1.11-T1 which has a further update to the iTunes (Firefly) service: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361838#p361838
Message 18 of 27
hangglider
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply and links, mdgm. I'm (still, intentionally) running 4.1.7 and will consider the update to 4.1.10 if I can't resolve the Firefly issue that just cropped up. I was under the mis-impression that the Firefly 1.03 update was a seperate installable add-on.
Message 19 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you really want to you can try the add-on: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58261

Though the recommended solution is to install the firmware update.
Message 20 of 27
matthewsjones
Aspirant

I have found the interface on my iPad safari to get the firefly screen up by going to 192.168.0.2:3689/config.html but I don't know how to point it to my media section on my readynas ultra 4. I want iTunes on my iPad to refer to my readynas music drive area and connect. Can someone help me complete the entries below I have cut and paste. Thank you so much.

Server Name The name iTunes and other daap clients should see
Admin password The password for this administration interface.
Music Password The password clients need to access this server.
Music Files
Music Folder Remove
Add music folder
Extensions
Database
Scan Type
Rescan Interval How often should Firefly look for new files? In seconds.
Always Scan
Message 21 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Just to clarify - you don't have iTunes running on the iPad. I think you must mean the music and videos players at the bottom?

If so, they will not connect to firefly. Apple wrote them to require "home sharing" - and intentionally crippled 3rd party servers like Firefly in the process (because they did not publish how to implement home sharing in non-apple servers).
Message 22 of 27
matthewsjones
Aspirant

Is there anyway then I can get my iTunes from iPad to look at the nas drive to grab the music in I've copied from CDs all these years?
Message 23 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Again, there is no iTunes on your iPad... Really. iTunes is a program that can run on your mac or pc - nowhere else. Calling the music player, video player, or the apple store app on the ipad "iTunes" just creates confusion.

I know of only two ways to get your music on the NAS to play on the iPad.

(a) You can run iTunes on a Mac or PC (adding the music on the NAS to the iTunes music library, but leaving the music itself on the NAS). Enable home sharing on that iTunes, and also enable home sharing on the iPad. While iTunes is running on the PC, you can access your music library (and any videos) from the built-in music (or video) app on the iPad.

(b) Play your music using a different app - such as 8player or AVplayerHD - that can stream the music from your NAS using DLNA or directly from the share (using SMB, NFS, or FTP).

There is a third option, but it is not really playing the music from the NAS itself. That option is to get a paid iCloud account from apple, and upload your music from the NAS to iCloud.
Message 24 of 27
grimloch
Aspirant

I believe there is a daap player on the iTunes app store. That should connect to your iTunes server.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements