× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: access HD directly if ReadyNAS hardware fails

3dFirefly
Tutor

access HD directly if ReadyNAS hardware fails

Trying to decide if it is worth having a NAS for home use.

If I have NAS set up as a simple RAID mirror, and if NAS hardware fails, not the HDs.  will I be able to pull one of the HDs and connect it to PC to recover data?

is it possible to configure the device to able this?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

If I have NAS set up as a simple RAID mirror, and if NAS hardware fails, not the HDs.  will I be able to pull one of the HDs and connect it to PC to recover data?

RAID isn't enough to keep data safe, so you should put a backup plan in place for any device you use for primary storage.

That said, you can mount one of a RAID-1 volume when you boot the PC to Linux.  If you boot it to Windows then you will usually need RAID recovery software,

Note that Netgear is exiting their storage business (all ReadyNAS platforms are already end-of-life), so you'd need to look at other vendors for a new NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

RAID isn't enough to keep data safe, so you should put a backup plan in place for any device you use for primary storage.

That said, you can mount one of a RAID-1 volume when you boot the PC to Linux.  If you boot it to Windows then you will usually need RAID recovery software,

Note that Netgear is exiting their storage business (all ReadyNAS platforms are already end-of-life), so you'd need to look at other vendors for a new NAS.

Message 2 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

ok, I am starting to understand the purpose of a RAID after some more reading.

to use a bunch of cheaper drives, so for a storage purpose, have a RAID of four 2TB drives (RAID 5) gives me 6 TB of space and then have a schedule on NAS to back to external USB HDs or to another NAS.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

ok, I am starting to understand the purpose of a RAID after some more reading.

Originally it was about using cheaper drives, though I don't think that's the main driver today.  Most arrays now are using NAS-purposed or enterprise-class drives.

One benefit is availability of the storage repository:

• Routine disk replacements can be made without taking the storage offline.
  • The volume can be expanded while remaining on-line

Another is that the volume can be larger than the biggest individual disks.

Message 4 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 4 here, and found  that I can access it using an older portable firefox, now looking into upgrading it to OS6

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Old-Legacy/OS-6-Upgrade-Instructions-for-Read...

I got a complete backup, planning on wiping the HDs

installed 2gb DDR2

I updated the firmware to 4.2.31

but stalled on updating the BIOS,  I got the file uploaded and it verifies but when it tries to install I get

"BIOS Update encountered an error."

saw couple post on updating BIOS before doing firmware OS6 , but no details or troubleshooting the BIOS.

suggestions?

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

but stalled on updating the BIOS,  I got the file uploaded and it verifies but when it tries to install I get

"BIOS Update encountered an error."

saw couple post on updating BIOS before doing firmware OS6 , but no details or troubleshooting the BIOS.

It is totally optional, so you could just skip the BIOS update.

Are you installing the package as an add-on?

Message 6 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

Yes, uploaded the BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin via add-on

Message 7 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

It's up and running on  latest OS,   I currently have (3)  2TB drives in a flex-RAID / RAID 5 configuration.

just one last question to confirm..  I can add a 4th 2TB? (or can it be more?) drive anytime and it will add it to current collection without reformatting?

Thank you all for the replies.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

I currently have (3)  2TB drives in a flex-RAID / RAID 5 configuration.

just one last question to confirm..  I can add a 4th 2TB? (or can it be more?) drive anytime and it will add it to current collection without reformatting?

You can add a 4th 2 TB drive, and your storage will increase from 4 TB (3.63 TiB) to 6 TB (5.45 TiB).

With FlexRAID/RAID-5 you need to upgrade all the drives to get the volume to expand.  IMO, X-RAID is a better choice for most people.  With X-RAID the volume will expand if you upgrade only 2 of the drives.  For instance, 4x2TB -> 2x8TB+2x2TB would increase the volume size from 6 TB to 12 TB. 

Technically, XRAID would create a second RAID-1 group of 2x6TB using the remaining space on the two 8 TB drives, and concatenate that with the base 4x2TB RAID-5 group. 

If you upgraded a third drive to 8 TB later on, the NAS would automatically convert that RAID-1 group to 3x6TB RAID-5, and expand the total volume to 18 TB.  (This assumes that you convert to OS-6, since 4.2.x fimware won't expand a volume over 16 TiB).

Note you'll need to rebuild everything anyway after you convert to OS-6.

Message 9 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

running OS-6 now,   HDs are blank, have data backed up on another external HD.

So I have (3)  2 TB drives now and got my hands on (2) 6 TB drives.  so will go with X-RAID and put 6TB in slot 1&2, and 2TB in slot 3&4.  

does this sound good?

doesn't look like I can select X-RAID yet, so do I create RAID 1 on a matching pair first then do the other pair? then switch to X-RAID?

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

doesn't look like I can select X-RAID yet, so do I create RAID 1 on a matching pair first then do the other pair? then switch to X-RAID?

You can switch to X-RAID if you destroy the current volume.

@3dFirefly wrote:

So I have (3)  2 TB drives now and got my hands on (2) 6 TB drives. 

Did you check that the 6 TB drives are CMR?

Message 11 of 14
3dFirefly
Tutor

oh wow, I never heard of CMR before

so looked up my model and looks like it is

ST6000DM004

3dFirefly_0-1706725950207.png

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@3dFirefly wrote:

oh wow, I never heard of CMR before

so looked up my model and looks like it is

ST6000DM004

That is good. Many Barracudas in this size (and other desktop drives) are now SMR.

Generally I recommend going with NAS-purposed or enterprise class drives - Ironwolf or WD Red Plus are all CMR.  WD Reds are unfortunately SMR (despite being branded for NAS), so not a good choice.

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

If you want two volumes, you can't use XRAID.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements