× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

backup failed -- not sure why

oboehack
Aspirant

backup failed -- not sure why

I am attempting to backup my media share to a USB drive (front port) of my ReadyNas Duo. The backup fails: "Error encountered copying data from source path ++> /USB_HDD_9 DUE TO UNKNOWN REASON." Review of error log reveals "cp: cannot create directory `/USB_HDD_9/./Pictures/2011-05/2011-05-Delaware River Tow Path ': Invalid argument". This subfolder is missing in the backup. Other than this omission, it looks like the files were backed up, although oddly, the USB backup shows slightly larger file sizes in some cases.

Please let me know if additional information needed to troubleshooting this.

Setup
1. Drive is a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500gb. It's powersave setting has been set to "never" and it is formatted to FAT 32.
2. The same drive has no problems backing up my itunes library which is a little over 50gb
3. The media share it has problems with is about 100gb
4. Frontview is 4.1.7
Message 1 of 9
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: backup failed -- not sure why

Try to reformat the USB storage drive to EXT3 thru the frontview.
Message 2 of 9
stgeorge
Guide

Oddly, after years of good backups, I'm now experiencing certain backup jobs that are failing? Can someone please check through this log and tell me if they notice anything in particular? These are music files, and I've purposely gone into iTunes to play these files to make sure they aren't corrupted, and they are not.

What is really strange is that when I "Test Connection" I get a success response back from Frontview, but then when I execute the backup job, it fails. I'm operating a Duo running twin 500 gb drives and using 4.1.7

Thanks- here's the log:

INCREMENTAL Backup started. Thu Aug 18 14:16:49 EDT 2011

Job: 001
Protocol: cifs
Source: //192.168.10.90/My Music
Destination: [media]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

`/job_001//Aretha Franklin/30 Greatest Hits [Disc 1]/\03615 The Weight.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Aretha Franklin/30 Greatest Hits [Disc 1]/\03615 The Weight.mp3'
cp: cannot open `/job_001//Aretha Franklin/30 Greatest Hits [Disc 1]/\03615 The Weight.mp3' for reading: No such file or directory
`/job_001//Broadway Kids/Broadway Kids Sing America/05 The Presiay.mp3`' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Broadway Kids/Broadway Kids Sing America/05 The Presiay.mp3`'
cp: cannot open `/job_001//Broadway Kids/Broadway Kids Sing America/05 The Presiay.mp3`' for reading: No such file or directory
`/job_001//Compilations/Broadway\'s Greatest Gifts_ Carols For A/1-10 Have Yourself A Merry Little Ch.mp3\302\220' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Compilations/Broadway\'s Greatest Gifts_ Carols For A/1-10 Have Yourself A Merry Little Ch.mp3\302\220'
cp: cannot open `/job_001//Compilations/Broadway\'s Greatest Gifts_ Carols For A/1-10 Have Yourself A Merry Little Ch.mp3\302\220' for reading: No such file or directory
`/job_001//Compilations/Enchanted/08 Storybo⁈Ḱnj䪪@' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Compilations/Enchanted/08 Storybo⁈Ḱnj䪪@'
cp: cannot open `/job_001//Compilations/Enchanted/08 Storybo⁈Ḱnj䪪@' for reading: No such file or directory
`/job_001//Compilations/Mamma Mia!/06 Chiquitita.mpꄒ' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Compilations/Mamma Mia!/06 Chiquitita.mpꄒ'
cp: cannot open `/job_001//Compilations/Mamma Mia!/06 Chiquitita.mpꄒ' for reading: No such file or directory
`/job_001//The Beatles/1962-1966 [Disc 1]/1-06 All My Loving.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/The Beatles/1962-1966 [Disc 1]/1-06 All My Loving.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/01 Out Of The Sky In The Middle Of T.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/01 Out Of The Sky In The Middle Of T.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/02 I\'ll Find My Way To The Promised.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/02 I\'ll Find My Way To The Promised.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/03 Susie Said It\'s Me Or The Corps.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/03 Susie Said It\'s Me Or The Corps.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/04 Gimme That Old Marine Corps Spiri.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/04 Gimme That Old Marine Corps Spiri.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/05 My Grand Daddy Was A Horse Marine.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/05 My Grand Daddy Was A Horse Marine.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/06 Up In The Morning With The Drizzi.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/06 Up In The Morning With The Drizzi.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/07 Cousin And Jane Were Swinging On.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/07 Cousin And Jane Were Swinging On.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/08 Bo Diddly Bo Diddly Have You Hear.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/08 Bo Diddly Bo Diddly Have You Hear.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/09 Back In 1775.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/09 Back In 1775.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/10 Born In The Woods.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/10 Born In The Woods.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/11 Every Where We Go.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/11 Every Where We Go.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/12 Feelin Good.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/12 Feelin Good.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/13 Momma And Poppa Were Lying In Bed.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/13 Momma And Poppa Were Lying In Bed.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/14 In The Army Young And Old.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/14 In The Army Young And Old.mp3'
`/job_001//United States Marine Corps/US Marines/15 Fired Up.mp3' -> `/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/United States Marine Corps/US Marines/15 Fired Up.mp3'

Backup failed. Thu Aug 18 14:17:46 EDT 2011.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path //192.168.10.90/My Music ==> /media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music due to unknown reason. Please see log.
Message 3 of 9
arjoseph1
Tutor

Try to contact support to further verify the cause of this problem. Thanks.
Message 4 of 9
stgeorge
Guide

Well...just as oddly, the problem seems to have gone away- all backup jobs are now fully functional !? Sorry for wasting anyone's time looking into it....perhaps I'll be back in the near future when it crops back up again.

All I want for Christmas is a pro6 🙂
Message 5 of 9
mr_cello
Aspirant

Weird thing is I had exactly the same problem... with two different external devices. Not sure why, especially since neither drive is even remotely full, and both have succeeded in the past!

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I am still running 4.1.6 on my NV+.
Message 6 of 9
arjoseph1
Tutor

Nice to hear that everything is now ok. 😄
Message 7 of 9
mmiller2
Aspirant

I had this same problem as of just 1 hour ago. I setup a drive on one of my Windows 7 machines to backup the ReadyNas to. So that's ReadyNas backup to Windows 7 Pro machine. The target drive is NTFS. My backup job worked once flawlessly. I created a new job and ran that. It ran for about 5 minutes then all of a sudden the logs had memory allocation errors and then I couldn't even connect. The test connection button consistently failed to work. In the course of troubleshooting the issue I did the following:

1. Reformatted the Windows 7 backup target as exFAT (no specific reason except there were some reports of file permission issues)

2. Deleted all backup jobs from FrontView and restarted the ReadyNas Duo.

3. Result: Test connection failed to work.

So then I rebooted the Windows 7 machine. The test connection WORKED and the backup is currently running again.

Weird!!

Anyway, the backup is running as I type this and no hiccups as of yet. I'll report if I have more issues. I think I may experiment with using NTFS partition as before and see if I can reproduce the issue.

M
Message 8 of 9
arjoseph1
Tutor

Just keep us posted. Thanks! 🙂
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation