× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't activate services or restart from Frontview - 18699479

ecopoesis
Aspirant

can't activate services or restart from Frontview - 18699479

This morning my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running 4.2.19 emailed me to tell me to upgrade it. I tried that, but Frontview gave me "Error connecting to server". I figured this was just a DNS caching issue, so I tried to restart through Frontview which failed, jus bringing me back to the start screen that has a picture of the ReadyNAS.

I then restarted through using the front panel buttons. This left the ReadyNAS in an in accessible state (no ping, no Frontview) even though it showed it's correct IP (picked up from DHCP) on the front panel screen.

I then tried an OS reinstall from the front panel. This got the ReadyNAS again accessible. However, all the services were turned off.

Frontview is now broken: I can't turn on services (I get the spinner for a second, then the screen refreshes with the service unchecked again), I can't upgrade remotely (still getting "error connecting to server"), can't upgrade locally (it think the file is the wrong architecture), no logs on the server (not even the start device started, device shutdown ones), can't install SSH access (same invalid architecture error) so I could try to look at the real logs.

Anyone have any other ideas? The ReadyNAS had been working fine for months without a problem until today.

I've also opened an issue with Netgear support (18699479) about this, but I have more faith in this awesome community.
Message 1 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Re: can't activate services or restart from Frontview - 1869

Throw it in Tech Support mode and give me the five digit ID on the LCD. I'll try and take a look at it on this sunny Sunday afternoon.

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... _boot_menu
Message 2 of 12
Thomas_xh
Aspirant

This is because the root system is full, so user cannot change the configuration.
I delete it and replaced the service file as default, if user still has issue, you can contact Netgear support engineer or PM to me.
Message 3 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Why was root full?
Message 4 of 12
ecopoesis
Aspirant

The five digit code is 57050
Message 5 of 12
Thomas_xh
Aspirant

under the "/c/document", there are 3.4T data which worked under system root.
Message 6 of 12
ecopoesis
Aspirant

Terabytes or Gigabytes? 3.4 gig sounds about the right size for the documents share. If it's terabytes I have no idea what's going as most of the space on the NAS should be used under/c/media.

How do files end up on the root FS instead of the big NAS FS? I thought everything under /c was on the NAS' main file system?

Is there any way I can get access back to this so I can move these files to were they belong and get this thing working again?
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS partition is 4GB, so it would be 3.4GB of data. What I think Qinghong.he is saying that that data was found on the OS partition and has been moved from there to /c/document to get it off the OS partition.

So you still can't access the NAS at all? If so you should follow Qingong.he's advice (if you haven't already) given in an earlier post in this thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356812#p356812
Message 8 of 12
ecopoesis
Aspirant

Sorry. I didn't realize that that the NAS had already been fixed. Everything is working correctly now. Thanks.

But I still don't understand how it got into the bad state to start with though. How would things under the /c/documents folder end up in the root FS?

The only way I put file there is via a rsync job running in a crontab on one of my desktops. The command I run is:

rsync -av --stats --delete --rsh="ssh -p$REMOTE_PORT -i $REMOTE_KEY" /Users/miker/Documents/scanned/ ${REMOTE_USER}@${REMOTE_HOST}:/c/documents

Remote user is set to root, remote host is the ReadyNAS's IP.
Message 9 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Do you ever reboot the ReadyNAS? If the cronjob kicked off while the ReadyNAS was still booting and hadn't mounted the C volume yet, it could end up on root.
Message 10 of 12
ecopoesis
Aspirant

I did restart it recently, so that's probably it.
I'll add a cronjob to check the root FS used percentage, so it it happens again, I can at know what happened and fix it myself via SSH. Thanks.
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you ran the backup from the NAS in a cron script rather than from the PC you could get the NAS to check the data volume was mounted and if not abort the backup before it is run.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements