× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

disk expansion x-raid

aaroncody
Tutor

disk expansion x-raid

my ReadyNAS 314 (latest firmware) used to have 4 2TB HDD's ... I wanted to expand storage so I swapped out one of the 2TB disks for an 8TB disk .. the NAS did a resync but the xtra space isn't showing up anywhere in the web GUI ? I had 2 iSCSI LUNs defined .. can I expand one of those or should I define a new one? Can't see how to do it...

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
aaroncody
Tutor

Re: disk expansion x-raid

thanks - it is currently resyncing and now I can see all the additional space.

one thing I messed up - I have 2 LUN's defined in the iSCSI config which I use with my ESXi datacenter .. one LUN was thick provisioned and the other was thin provisioned. I tried expanding the thin LUN to something huge, like 20TB .. it let me do it .. and it shows up in ESXi as 20TB now .. even though that's way more than the amount of storage I have in reality. So I want to set it back to where it was before .. but it won't let me enter a smaller number .. seems I can only expand? Is there a way to reset that to something sensible?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
aaroncody
Tutor

so according to this: https://kb.netgear.com/23135/How-do-I-vertically-expand-an-X-RAID-2-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

I think what is happening is that i'm not seeing the additional space because I"m running raid 5 and therefore need to replace TWO HDDs .. not just ONE.. so great, I need to fork out another $250 for another drive .... 

before I place my order, does this sound about right ?

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@aaroncody wrote:

I think what is happening is that i'm not seeing the additional space because I"m running raid 5 and therefore need to replace TWO HDDs .. not just ONE.. so great, I need to fork out another $250 for another drive .... 

Yes, you need to replace two drives (though actually you'll end up with a RAID-5 group and a RAID-1 group).

The capacity rule for XRAID single redundancy is "sum the drives and subtract the largest".  This is optimal - it's impossible to get more space and still maintain single redundancy.

When replacing disks, you need to either match the existing size, or use a drive that is at least as big as the largest installed drive (8 TB or larger in your case).

If you are running an older NAS (4.x.x or 5.3.x firmware) there are some limits to expansion - post back if that's your situation.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS 314 runs ReadyNAS OS 6.

Expansion should work fine after you replace the next disk.

There are some things we would recommend doing:

1. Make sure your regular backup is up to date (no important data should be stored on just the one device & when you replace a disk your data volume has reduced/no protection against a disk failure (other than the disk added to rebuild the data volume) depending on which RAID level you're using. It's a time of heightened risk.
  2. Download the logs before replacing the disk to do the expansion
  3. Check the SMART stats of the disks. If a disk is failing then that is the disk you need to replace. If all the disks look healthy then it shouldn't matter which disk you replace
  4. After the expansion has completed download another set of logs. 
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

The ReadyNAS 314 runs ReadyNAS OS 6.

Sorry, I somehow missed the first post.  So there are no known expansion limits.

Message 5 of 7
aaroncody
Tutor

thanks - it is currently resyncing and now I can see all the additional space.

one thing I messed up - I have 2 LUN's defined in the iSCSI config which I use with my ESXi datacenter .. one LUN was thick provisioned and the other was thin provisioned. I tried expanding the thin LUN to something huge, like 20TB .. it let me do it .. and it shows up in ESXi as 20TB now .. even though that's way more than the amount of storage I have in reality. So I want to set it back to where it was before .. but it won't let me enter a smaller number .. seems I can only expand? Is there a way to reset that to something sensible?

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You’ll need to backup the data, delete the LUN, create a new LUN and restore the data from backup. Thick LUNs are a better way to go than thin generally.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements