× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk #25243902

guitman
Aspirant

iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk #25243902

I have a 4220 with 12TB. 10TB is an iSCSI LUN.

Started having corruption issues with backups being stored on the LUN. Windows event viewer indicated drive corruption on the iSCSI device. Ran a chkdsk /x on the drive, and it found a lot of errors. Now, it is stuck "recovering orphaned file", and it has been this way for 3 days. There is still about a 1% constant utilization on my storage network adapter, and chkdsk and system services are taking up about 12% system resources. So, it looks like it is doing something, but its just taking a long time?

Any idea why the corruption may have occurred? Any idea how long this may take to recover? Any ideas how to avoid this in the future, or other tools I can use to get back online and recover my data?

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk

Generally it is caused by something at the PC end or somewhere on your network. Usually it is not at the NAS end, but send your NAS logs in anyway (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).
Message 2 of 5
guitman
Aspirant

Re: iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk

Thanks, created a support case (25243902) and uploaded logs.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk #25243902

How big is the LUN? Is it filling 90% of the volume or is there other data on the volume as well?

Is it thin/thick?

Do you recall on which firmware you created it?

You could try software such as Active File Recovery.

Do you have your iSCSI traffic going through it's own subnet and VLAN, separate to your other network traffic? If not, you definitely should consider this in future.
Message 4 of 5
guitman
Aspirant

Re: iSCSI Corruption and chkdsk #25243902

Not sure which firmware, but I recall an update where I had to wipe my data and reformat anyway. Maybe 6.2.2?

LUN is 8GB, total space on NAS is 9.2 TB. Thin I guess, I would have done a quick format on the LUN once it was connected to Windows.

iSCSI traffic is all on its own storage switch. No other traffic goes over this hardware.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements