× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iSCSI corruption. Bitlocker locked? Not looking good, ALL my data!

bda714
Guide

iSCSI corruption. Bitlocker locked? Not looking good, ALL my data!

So my LUN Volume has been working great with iSCSI initiators on windows 8.1 and now 10.  No problem.  Today, after upgrading my Surface Pro 3 to win 10,. I create a new initiator on the admin page for ReadyNAS, connect with the iSCSI initiator. and it connected, but right away had a exclamation mark thing over the drive letter in explorer for each drive.  It was lagging bad and would keep giving (not responding) message in explorer.  After a few mins I disconnected the initiator from the target and moved back to my main desktop PC.  I reconnected on that PC like I normally have been, and now all of the drives are showing that exclamation point icon, and the drive that I was actually trying to access from the surface P3 is showing as bitlocker locked.  If I try to open any of the drives in explorer, it says disk corruption or damaged.  This is really freaaking me out being that this is literally all of my data and I am new to NAS so I was thinking that being that I had RAID 5 I was safe.  It never occuired to me that I would lose 4 HDDs at once.  Is there anything I can do or am I totally boned here?  Please help and thank you in advance for ANY help.

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSI corruption. Bitlocker locked? Not looking good, ALL my data!

Did you try accessing the same target using multiple devices at the same time? That will always lead to corruption. Accessing a LUN from one PC and sharing it from there is the way to go.

So you have no backup?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 10
bda714
Guide

Ok, I will look at the link in your sig.  Then post the logs here to this conversation?  And to answer, I only was using one computer at a time.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The link mentions the email address to send the zip file to.

Message 4 of 10
bda714
Guide

Ok, the files are sent to the email provided.  I did send two emails because I didnt reference the url to this post in the first one.  the subject was my user name here of bda714

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Definitely looks like the problem would be with your network or at the PC end.

I don't recommend using iSCSI with mobile devices as if you have something as simple as a brief drop of your Wi-Fi connection drop this can lead to corruption.

Looks like the health of the disks you are using is questionable however there have been no SMART errors since the last factory default about three months ago.

Message 6 of 10
bda714
Guide

I used it on the Surface but when I was on that device I use a USB to ethernet connection.  So is it recoverable or am I done for?

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You would probably be best to contact support and ask them.

It may be that running a filesystem check of the filesystem on the LUN using your PC may help: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24912/~/readynas%2Freadydata-iscsi-lun-showing-as-raw-...

Message 8 of 10
bda714
Guide

So I tried running the chkdsk through command prompt and it returns "the type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.  Then when I try to go to properties in disk management in tools, and do error checking, "The disk check could not be performed because Windows cant access the disk."

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should contact support.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements