× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iSCSI performance with ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

sircoolio
Tutor

iSCSI performance with ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition running 4.2.19
Connected over Gigabit Ethernet (Jumbo Frames) to Mac Pro running 10.6.8
iSCSI via GlobalSAN Initiator v4.1
iSCSI disk formatted HFS+ Journaled

Just activated iSCSI on my RN Pro Pioneer via the iSCSI add-in. One LUN. Connection is fine, but the write performance is very poor and I can't debug the cause. I'm getting at most ~4MB/sec, but throughput is very sporadic, bouncing between 3-4MB/sec and ~300KB/sec. I have the same ReadyNAS simultaneously mounted via AFP, and I get write speeds upwards of 70/MB second, with very little variation in write (or read) speed.

Haven't found many users via Google Search who have documented their iSCSI configuations or issues, and the ones who have often create a dedicated connection between RN and server with no other load generating services. My RN is used primarily for backups and lower availability disk storage, but it does serve a web site and WebDAV that get little Internet traffic.

What do others get in terms of iSCSI write performance to Mac, and are there any tips or tricks you learned along the way?
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iSCSI performance with ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

GlobalSAN v4.1 has been known to have performance issues.

You could try an older version of GlobalSAN: http://www.snsftp.com/public/globalsan/Legacy/

There is a new version of GlobalSAN coming (v5) soon. I don't know if this will help.

Unfortunately GlobalSAN v5 isn't free.

It's disappointing that Apple itself still doesn't provide an iSCSI initiator. Windows has provided a free iSCSI initiator for years.
Message 2 of 3
sircoolio
Tutor

Re: iSCSI performance with ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

Going back to the older version solved the performance issues I was seeing. Thanks for the tip. I don't mind paying for the iSCSI initiator if it works well, which 4.1 did not for me.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements