× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iTunes Server and audiobooks?

minikN
Aspirant

iTunes Server and audiobooks?

Hello, I have a RNDP4000 running OS version 6.7.4. I've set up a share and enabled the iTunes server on it. From my local Mac controlling the iTunes library, I've set the iTuned Media folder location to that share, so all of my media is located on the NAS. This works great for music. I added all my albums and fair enough, I can access them from any computer inside my local network, all fine.

However, my audiobooks don't show up. On the Mac controlling the library I added them as audiobooks, and they show up fine (With show up, I'm talking about the Mac's local library with the media location being the NAS share), however, when I try to access the library from another machine, I can only see all the music, but no audiobooks (It says 'There are no audioboks on NAS'). 

If I look into the share directly, the audiobooks get saved alongside the music, so for example I have a folder called AC_DC or Kiss for my music, but also in the same folder I have folders called Stieg Larsson or David Lagercrantz, so they do indeed get saved on the NAS, why can't I access them?

Thanks in advance!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Betreff: iTunes Server and audiobooks?

@minikN wrote:

And I just found out they are displayed under Music indstead of Audiobooks...

I think that's a limitation in the open source itunes server that the ReadyNAS uses.

You'll also find it doesn't support home sharing, so it can't be used with iphones or ipads (and at least some generations of apple TV)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
minikN
Aspirant

Oh and FYI: The format of the audiobooks vary, some of them are .aax (Audible), and some are .mp3.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@minikN wrote:

I think that's a limitation in the open source itunes server that the ReadyNAS uses.

You'll also find it doesn't support home sharing, so it can't be used with iphones or ipads (and at least some generations of apple TV)

Message 3 of 5
minikN
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer. That's a pity however.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@minikN wrote:

Thanks for your answer. That's a pity however.

Yes.  The limitations are mainly on Apple - if they provided iTunes for linux the NAS world would be a better place.

But they haven't, so linux servers can only offer features that the open source folks have managed to reverse-engineer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements