× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mount ReadyNAS drives to recover data?

zapnap
Aspirant

mount ReadyNAS drives to recover data?

Still waiting for Netgear support to get back to me about my case (detailed here http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58407), so in the meantime I was wondering if there was some way to get the data off of the ReadyNAS disks and safely on to another local disk. I took the two disks out of the busted enclosure and tried to mount them to a spare desktop PC. It seems that one of them has SMART errors and won't mount, but the other seems to mount okay. However, when I mount the one partition, I'm not sure where I should be looking for my data...

I see small files at the root level of the mounted drives that are named after my shares, but the size of the partition that gets mounted is tiny. Can someone tell me where my share data would be located? On another partition not listed in the partition table? Any recovery instructions or pointers to reliable tutorials would be very very much appreciated. Maybe I just goofed something easy up. Hope so :).
Message 1 of 3
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Re: mount ReadyNAS drives to recover data?

I sent you a PM regarding your previous thread/case.

As far as this one, sounds like what you're looking at is the OS portion of the NAS. We put symlinks in there to the shares on the actual data volume, so that's probably what you're seeing. It's been a long while since I've worked with a sparc NAS so I'm a bit hazy on the details but there should be a much larger partition on that drive that actually consists of your data. It'll have a logical volume then the filesystem on top.

Get in touch with me, I'll see if I can help you out or at least point you in the right direction.
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: mount ReadyNAS drives to recover data?

Take a look at Mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux. There's plenty of good info there.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements