× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mv_xor_status+88

ShortRaver
Tutor

Re: mv_xor_status+88

So I've made a little bit of progress. After pulling the plugs to restart the units, as soon as the boot sequence is complete, I proceeded to perform a OS restart (top right power icon in the UI), and since then one of my units has managed to run it's resync from 30% to almost completion (still a couple of hours left) without freezing. The other did froze once, but since performing the same restart again, it's progressing well.

Not the be all solution, but something to consider if you really need to get that additional drive synced.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 26 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Re : mv_xor_status+88

Many thx for ur useful answers.

Do i have ny chance to install an ancient firmware in order to solve my problem? If it would be possible, how can i do it?

Cheers

Message 27 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@Migmat wrote:

Do i have ny chance to install an ancient firmware in order to solve my problem? If it would be possible, how can i do it?

It can be done, but would require a factory reset (destroying all your data), and Netgear says users have bricked their RN100 series NAS attempting it.  So I don't recommend it.  It'd be best if someone from Netgear would troubleshoot it, and fix it.

Message 28 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Really appreciate ur comments, now wait and see but i hope that netgear will be able to fix it sonn proving their know how and customer care

Cheers

Message 29 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Ah StephenL,

Did you get my logs ??

Haven't heard from you since requesting to send them.

Are you saying that Netgear are the only ones to resovle it - this may be through an update for the NAS itself as I cannot see how the issue is hardware if more than a few people are experiencing the same error when implementing the same changes (adding a 4th HDD).

Please reply if the logs can tell you something.

Regards

NJP

Message 30 of 80
StephenB
Guru

I didn't get the logs, maybe PM BrianL

@njpryan wrote:
 Are you saying that Netgear are the only ones to resovle it - this may be through an update for the NAS itself as I cannot see how the issue is hardware if more than a few people are experiencing the same error when implementing the same changes (adding a 4th HDD).

Certainly they are the best people to troubleshoot it, and my guess is that it is a firmware bug.

Message 31 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Now I hv the message even with 3 disks, I'm desperate...

Message 32 of 80
StephenB
Guru

Then use paid support.

Message 33 of 80
Markuzz
Aspirant

Hi,

I tried the 'soft restart' option as mentioned by ShortRaver, and indeed it synced all the way throught the night. Unfortunately this morning, the error message appeared again. And again after another hard reboot followed by soft restart.

@ShortRaver: Did you manage to get your 4 disks synced?

Kind regards,

Mark.

Message 34 of 80
ShortRaver
Tutor

@Markuzz

Yep, all 4 disks synced on both units successfully, has been running all day without issue. Will keep monitoring in the meantime and post any updates.

One thing I have noticed though is that the Activity LED is always on. Was that always the case?!? 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 35 of 80
Markuzz
Aspirant

@ShortRaver Nice one dude! Unfortunately it's not working on my unit...... I've tried 5 times this morning, after about 15-20mins the mv_xor_status+88 error appears and the NAS is not responding anymore. So, I removed the 4th disk.... and as stated by others the volume is marked as degraded. So I completely erased the volume and it is now syncing on 3 drives for several hours. Fingers crossed it will fully build the volume again as my drives on my desktop are now quite full Man Tongue

Cheers, Mark.

Message 36 of 80
Migmat
Guide

I'm trying Short Raver solution (thx for sharing)

Now it's rebuilding... 30% done, hope it will last... 

Cheers

Message 37 of 80
Markuzz
Aspirant

@Migmat Good luck mate! Let us know the outcome. I am still syncing on 3 drives... so far so good. Hope that Netgear personnell is reading along and working on a solution.... Smiley Happy

Cheers, Markuzz.

Message 38 of 80
Migmat
Guide

60% done and still no message, the hope is alive...

Message 39 of 80
Migmat
Guide

First stop at 64%, new hard boot done, let's see

Message 40 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Finished sync with one stop

Now is recovering disk 4, 13% done and runnig

Message 41 of 80
Markuzz
Aspirant

@Migmat Cool mate, keep us posted!

ShortRaver also succeeded to have 4 drives running. I just finished my sync on 3 drives.... all is working fine, but I really would like to have 4 drives in RAID 5 mode.

NETGEAR PEOPLE.... WHERE ARE YOU? WE ARE DISCUSSING ISSUES IN YOUR FORUM, NO REACTION WHATSOEVER?

Kind regards, Markuzz.

Message 42 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@Markuzz wrote:

WE ARE DISCUSSING ISSUES IN YOUR FORUM, 

While it is disappointing that they haven't yet chimed in on this, I do want to say that this is OUR forum not theirs.  Netgear's intention is to enable a community of users.

Message 43 of 80
olafnorge
Aspirant

Hi,

I had the same problem with my four bay ReadyNAS 104. After adding the 4th disk I got "mv_xor_status+88" displayed on the NAS LCD. To get all my drives running again I did the following steps:

1. remove 4th drive and restart

2. let the NAS resync the remaining 3 disks

3. create a new MSDOS partition table on the 4th drive (I used gparted and an external drive bay)

4. poweroff the NAS

5. add the 4th disk back to the NAS

6. poweron the NAS and let it resync

I hope this helps.

Message 44 of 80
JNStew
Aspirant

I have a new 104 that I purchased a couple months ago and still had 90 day support that had the same problem.  I initially installed 2 new 4 TB ST4000vn000 drives and it was in Raid 1 just fine (took about 9 hours).  I think it started with firmware 6.1.8.  I upgraded using the software upgrade button first to an intermediate version and then after immediately to 6.5.1.  Everything seemed to be fine, but I changed my mind and added 2 more identical new disks.  First installing the third disk and letting it resync to RAID 5 which seemed to be fine (took about 31 hours).  I then installed 4th disk and not sure if it finished resyncing or not.  The "mv_xor_status+88" error showed up and I could not access the NAS.  Support asked me to turn off and remove disk and restart which I did and it said "data degraded".  It stayed in that state for a while waiting for direction from Netgear and at some point it went back to unresponsive and "mv_xor_status+88" error.  Since I had no data on it, Netgear directed me to restart and factory reset which I did.  It took about 58 hours for all 4 disks to sync in RAID 5, but everythings seems fine now (I still have not yet put any data on it, though its been a couple days, but will probably put into service shortly).

Netgear mentioned that they didn't know for sure yet what the problem is, but it may be related to a factory default is required after one of the previous upgrades (didnt say which one).

Hope this may help someone.

installed 2 ST4000VN000 disks and upgraded to 6.5.1. In XRAID and RAID 1. Install 3rd identical disk and resysnc finishes fine and in RAID 5. Install 4th identical disk and resysnc starts ok but now display says "mv_xor_status+88" and I cannot access the NAS. No data or apps or anything else is on it or running yet. What should I do

Message 45 of 80
Migmat
Guide

The fourth disk still on his way. 39% done 65 hours remaining. Hope i will finally get my forth disk on track without loosing my data. Wait and see...

PS: even if it s a user forum i really miss a netgear reaction specially when so many users faces the same problem....

From my point of view is a clear lack of comunication and customer care

Message 46 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi guys, great to see all the comments - so I was never alone with this issue.

I have been away for a few days or so and yesterday I came back and was ready the comments to catch up.  I see someone has figured out a workaround but waiting for something to happen.  My eyes are watching to see if it continues to work as I still have the DATA DEGRADED flashing on the NAS with the 4th HDD removed.

Until today at about 5.45pm my time (GMT) and suddenly my connection to my NAS was lost - now this happens on the odd occasion and is usually just the wifi having a fit but this time I could not re-connect. Down I went to the NAS and on the screen was the same DATA DEGRADED but this time it had stopped flashing - so it look as though it crashed and froze. I was writing files to it at the time but can get over that and add them again.

So to restart the NAS I powered it off as it was the only solution and then waited and powered it back on.  The boot up started as normaly and the % got as far as 29% and then the following occurred :

message on the NAS was saying : unix_detech_fds+1c

Anyone know what this means ??

I had to restart it again and again a similar message appeared but instead of 1c it had 8s (not sure of the letter but deffo 8

I waited a few minutes and powered it off again and waited a min and powered it back on and we are now back to DATA DEGRADED flashing - normal poor service resumed.

I am beginning to think that between the NAS system it self and the OS that things are not good and to be honest becomming very disatisfied with the product overall - but I intend to get to the bottom of it and we need to help as the way Netgear Support is run - it seems like a money making racket. I have tried to contact them to have my case re-opened as the issue is not resolved but cannot get through.

So it looks as though it is up to ourselves to band together and see how we get on.

In other words ........ H E L P !!!

Regards

NJP

Message 47 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi StephenL,

Apologies but slowly catching up and just spotted your comment to me previous comment about staying on OS ver 6.5.0

Do you think I should update the OS to 6.5.1 and then re-add the 4th drive ??

Will this possible cause a problem with the data on the 3 HDD currently in the NAS

Regards

NJP

Message 48 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@njpryan wrote:

Do you think I should update the OS to 6.5.1 and then re-add the 4th drive ??

Will this possible cause a problem with the data on the 3 HDD currently in the NAS

Updating to 6.5.1 shouldn't cause any problem, though of course the data is at greater risk when the volume is degraded.

It'd be nice if 6.5.1 resolved it, but I'd be surprised if that happened.

Message 49 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Many thanks StephenL for that response.

I would be right to leave at 6.5.0 until a resolution is found and then insert the 4th HDD and then update.

I am thinking about ShortRaver's workaround which seems to be unusual to work but would suggest that the issue is in the OS.

Any comment on my previous comment about the error that showed up twice after teh NAS froze and would this be a result of the DATA DEGRATION constantly flashing ??

I countinue to add files etc on a daily basis even though it is DATA DEGRADED and all seems fine until that issue today.

Regards

NJP

Message 50 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 79 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements