× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

newbie: questions abt backup to front USB drive

rogboone
Follower

newbie: questions abt backup to front USB drive

Newbie DUO user here -- configuring backup job to a USB hard disk plugged into the front USB port. Two questions:

1) I was able to backup a share called "MyShare" to the USB hard drive. This share has subfolders of say "X", "Y" and
"Z". When I take the backup USB hard drive to another computer (only way I can see to verify that the backup worked),
I see the folders "X", "Y" and "Z" in the *root* of the hard drive.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if it puts the folders in the root like that, what if I have another share "OtherShare" with a
"X", "Y" or "Z" subfolder. Will one overwrite the other on the USB drive? I then made a folder on the external hard drive called
"myshare" but I didn't see any way in the Frontview backup program to say put the "MyShare" backup into this external "myshare"
folder.

2) Is it possible to just backup the entire DUO device to the external USB drive in one backup job? All I see are options to backup
individual shares one at a time or backup all *home* shares, but I have shares that are not home shares too. I tried clicking multiple
items in the source selection dropdown list, but that did not work.

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Rog
Message 1 of 2
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: newbie: questions abt backup to front USB drive

rogboone wrote:

1) I was able to backup a share called "MyShare" to the USB hard drive. This share has subfolders of say "X", "Y" and
"Z". When I take the backup USB hard drive to another computer (only way I can see to verify that the backup worked),
I see the folders "X", "Y" and "Z" in the *root* of the hard drive.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if it puts the folders in the root like that, what if I have another share "OtherShare" with a
"X", "Y" or "Z" subfolder. Will one overwrite the other on the USB drive? I then made a folder on the external hard drive called
"myshare" but I didn't see any way in the Frontview backup program to say put the "MyShare" backup into this external "myshare"
folder.

Put myshare in the backup destination path.

rogboone wrote:

2) Is it possible to just backup the entire DUO device to the external USB drive in one backup job? All I see are options to backup
individual shares one at a time or backup all *home* shares, but I have shares that are not home shares too. I tried clicking multiple
items in the source selection dropdown list, but that did not work.

You should see a backup source called "Volume C". That is your entire data volume (assuming you don't have multiple volumes).
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements