× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

no disks - help

dsm1212
Apprentice

no disks - help

4.5 year old pro 6. Last night it said "system dead" but was still running. The side enclosure fan had completely stopped. I shut down and restarted but it was still off so I shutdown and went to bed. When I got up in the morning it still said shutting down on it. So I held the power button and shut it off. When I got home tonight I powered it on again and the fan started, but the display showed retrying startup for a while and then it showed the readynas 6.4.2 but no disk numbers. My fear is that they overheated. I cannot ssh in. Raidar shows both ports with different IP's instead of one bonded. So I think the system lost it's config somehow. Before I try anything what do you recommend? I have good backups fortunately :-).

steve

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: no disks - help

I'd power down the NAS and test the disks in a pc with vendor diags (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  If you want to avoid a reset, then label them by slot before removing.

But doing a factory reset might be the fastest way in the end, as there are no delays waiting for advice.

Message 2 of 6
dsm1212
Apprentice

One thing I forgot to mention that is very strange is I powered down the unit this morning by holding down the power button, when I came home tonight it was on. No one was in the house. The fan was on when I got home and found it in this state though. So I don't know why it came on. I don't remember enabling one of those power on schedules. Maybe the default firmware has wake on lan or something?  

Anyhow, I still fear the unit ran overnight with the fan off. The drives are warm at the moment. I pulled the plug and will let it completely cool and then try the unit again. If that still gets nothing I'll start testing the drives. I see no numbers in the little squares so doesn't that mean the drives are not showing as present?

steve

Message 3 of 6
dsm1212
Apprentice

I took the drives out for an hour and let them lay on the cool table in front of the nas (my basement stays cool year round). Put them back in and it came up. Everything is back. Happy, but very disconcerting.

Fan is running, but since I've got a fan problem I guess I have some questions.

1. Shouldn't the nas shut itself down if the fan fails? Is there a log I can check to see if that happened or why it failed?

2. When I put the power cord in the unit came up. Apparently something is set to power on automatically. Can I change that? If the thing goes down because of the fan I want it to stay down.

3. There is a note about moving the fan control to the IO card port. Should I do that? Why?

thanks

steve

Message 4 of 6
dsm1212
Apprentice

Any comments on my 3 questions?

I'm thinking of replacing the fan and moving connector to the IO card. This should eliminate most of the possibilities for the cause of the issue. 

steve

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@dsm1212 wrote:

2. When I put the power cord in the unit came up. Apparently something is set to power on automatically. Can I change that? 

No on this one.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements