× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

offsite Time Machine backups using ReadyNAS Remote

sanchrts
Aspirant

offsite Time Machine backups using ReadyNAS Remote

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a ReadyNAS in an offsite location as a Time Machine backup source by connecting to that remote ReadyNAS using "ReadyNAS Remote"?

I currently back-up using Time Machine to a local ReadyNAS but am concerned about geographical concentration (e.g. if there's a fire/water leak in my apartment and it takes out both my Macs and my ReadyNAS) and would love to have a ReadyNAS in my studio (1 km away) to which my MacBook Pro and Mac mini at home could perform TM backups.
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: offsite Time Machine backups using ReadyNAS Remote

Even if it is possible, speed could well be an issue. But if you have high upload speeds and/or backup very little via Time Machine that shouldn't be an issue. Personally I reckon it would be better to Time Machine backups locally and then take them off-site using a usb disk or upload your changes over night.
Message 2 of 9
sanchrts
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
speed could well be an issue

You're right that speed could be an issue - I have 2 machines each with around 150GB of data but I do have a 10MB upload connection at the location where the machines are and a 1.5MB download connection at the NAS location...would be interested to try it out (will report back if it works)...
Message 3 of 9
yoh-dah
Guide

Time Machine goes over AFP, and currently Remote doesn't support that.
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

yoh-dah wrote:

I guess that means Time Machine over ReadyNAS Remote isn't going to work any time soon even for people with huge upload speeds. I guess it is a rather niche market at the moment.

If Australia really does get FTTH then I may be interested in AFP and Time Machine support in ReadyNas Remote
Message 5 of 9
damon1
Aspirant

Couldn't you just port-forward AFP and connect over the internet. Or set up a VPN and do it over the VPN. It would still be too slow for the initial back-up, but if you don't make many changes it might be doable if you were able to schedule less frequent TM backups. You could do off site backups using Carbon Copy Cloner configured for incremental backups and a custom schedule. The main bottle neck is still bandwidth.

Typical for my personal stuff clone the machine to a personal drive and then put that into my safety deposit box. Do you have a small fire safe at home? Also not a bad idea.

D
Message 6 of 9
sanchrts
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:

Using ReadyNAS Remote I have successfully connected to all my AFP shares, however the Time Machine share is not advertised as being available to mount.

The other solution to offsite Time Machine was having a backup job added to my rsync backups for the Time Machine share but it's not listed under my C volume at all so that's a no-go too...
Message 7 of 9
bollar
Aspirant

The Time Machine backups are in /c/.timemachine -- if you enter Volume C as the source with ".timemachine" as the path, you'll be able to do a rsync backup.
Message 8 of 9
sanchrts
Aspirant

bollar - magic! - thanks for the instructions on how to backup the Time Machine share.

Raf
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements