× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

phantom share: can't view, delete or create new one

fearless_fool
Aspirant

phantom share: can't view, delete or create new one

This may be related to viewtopic.php?p=131391 but the fix listed there didn't help.

Short form: I deleted a share, but its ghost lingers.

Symptoms: I get the message
The paths for the shares listed below could not be found.  Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.  TMcotopaxi [Tue Dec 23 10:42:31 PST 2008]

when I access the shares directory. TMcotopaxi shows up as a mount point under CIFS on my Mac (though not as AFS), but I can't access any files there. TMcotopaxi does NOT show up as a share under the FrontView shares page. And when I try to create a new TMcotopaxi share using FrontView, I get the message:
Share already exists [TMcotopaxi]

How I got into this state (I think): There was a previously a share named TMcotopaxi, but I was having permission problems and wanted to delete it entirely. I deleted it using FrontView shares page, then (almost immediately) created a new share of the same name. After I created the new TMcotopaxi share, I got a pop-up alert informing me that TMcotopaxi had been deleted. It was only then that I realized that the previous share was being deleted asynchronously in the background. However, the log file DID report
	Tue Dec 23 08:58:42 PST 2008	[TMcotopaxi] deleted.

What I've tried: I rebooted the ReadyNAS with "Check and fix quotas on next boot." enabled. No joy. I re-installed the firmware as per
faq.php#How_do_I_re-install_the_firmware%3F, but no joy there either.

How do I get rid of this phantom share?

Thanks in advance.

-- ff
[ReadyNAS, RAIDiator 4.1.4]
[MAC PowerBook G4 / OS X version 10.5.6]
Message 1 of 33
fearless_fool
Aspirant

Re: phantom share: can't view, delete or create new one

Bump.

I'm still getting alerts of the form:

Tue Jan 6 12:41:56 PST 2009 The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. TMcotopaxi
...yet TMcotopaxi doesn't show up in the Shares listing.

This error has persisted despite volume scans, quota checks, OS re-installs and (even) expanding to a larger array.

How do I make it really go away?
Message 2 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

Hello,

I am actually getting the same issue.

I removed a share in Frontview and deleting the files off the NAS obviouusly took longer than I expected, as I readded the share with same name about 2 mins later and the size of the share was going down and down (as it was removing more files in the share indicated in FrontView), at the end it then removed the share again, since then I get this message.

I have done the same as you (filescan, quota etc) but still same message.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tornado.
Message 3 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Connect to the "c" share on the NAS as admin and create a folder with the same name as the share. You should then be able to delete it again in Frontview.
Message 4 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

Hi eowk,

Thanks for the reply. This does not work as I get Share already exists.

Tornado.
Message 5 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

Hi Ewok,

Sorry I misread your thread, you dont mean create in frontview, more like browse the file system on the NAS. I will try this when I get home.

Thanks
Message 6 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

tornado wrote:
Hi Ewok,

Sorry I misread your thread, you dont mean create in frontview, more like browse the file system on the NAS. I will try this when I get home.

Thanks

Correct. Let me know how it goes.
Message 7 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

Hi Ewok,

I have tried everything to view my c share but with no luck

e.g.
win XP \\10.1.1.250\c and logging in with admin/xxxxx details
either get network path not valid or device attached to system is not functioning depending on which username I use

do not seem to have much luck with mac either.

Any ideas, I am currently running RAIDiator 4.1.4 [1.00a042]

Thanks
Message 8 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

tornado wrote:

I have tried everything to view my c share but with no luck

Are you in Share security mode? This only works in User-based modes. If you can't switch modes, we may have to look for a different soultion.
Message 9 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

Hi eowk,

You are correct I am in Share Security mode, due to my requirements I do not need User mode and user Share mode for simplicity.

Thanks

Tornado.
Message 10 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

This can be fixed with an addon. We should be able to have one ready for use by tomorrow.
Message 11 of 33
tornado
Aspirant

ewok,

Sounds great, look forward to testing it.

Tornado.
Message 12 of 33
rupert1020
Tutor

ewok wrote:
This can be fixed with an addon. We should be able to have one ready for use by tomorrow.

I have the same problem with a share called "zulu" not showing up when ssh to my RNNV+.. but once in a while, the RNNV+ warns me that the paths to "zulu" can't be resolved or something.

Do you have the Add-on to fix this ? I checked the add-ons list but couldn't find anything that appears to be related to this problem..

thx

SORRY DIDN'T GET THE FULL MEANING OF THE POST.. SO I JUST RECREATED A FOLDER UNDER C WITH THE SAME NAME AS THE GHOST SHARE (VIA SSH) THEN DELETED IT IN FRONTVIEW.. SEEMS TO WORK
Message 13 of 33
monochromic
Aspirant

Seems I've managed to get myself into the same mess (case #8942254), I've located the remedial add-on as described by ewok, however as I'm running a Pro it refuses to install.

Any help most appreciated.
Message 14 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Did you try creating the share folder in C yet (from my previous post in the same topic)? That's essentially what the addon would do.
Message 15 of 33
monochromic
Aspirant

I've attempted to access the main c:, however haven't found a way to as yet. I'm accessing the NAS through Mac OS X, connecting to the NAS via afp://192.168.1.1/ offers up four volumes to mount, admin, homes, media and webroot... but no root c:\

edit: i tried accessing through smb via smb://192.168.1.1/ and c:\ was listed as a volume to mount, however selecting it and logging in with my admin user/pass, it returns an error saying it could not be mounted and an error code of -6602.
Message 16 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

monochromic wrote:

edit: i tried accessing through smb via smb://192.168.1.1/ and c:\ was listed as a volume to mount, however selecting it and logging in with my admin user/pass, it returns an error saying it could not be mounted and an error code of -6602.

Did you change your admin password from the default? You will not be able to access the NAS over CIFS as admin until the admin's password has been changed.
Message 17 of 33
monochromic
Aspirant

edit: no longer relevant, misread ewok's above post.
Message 18 of 33
monochromic
Aspirant

edit: no longer relevant, misread ewok's above post.
Message 19 of 33
monochromic
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
monochromic wrote:

Did you change your admin password from the default? You will not be able to access the NAS over CIFS as admin until the admin's password has been changed.

Apologies ewok, I misread your above post! Oops!

i've since changed the default admin password and am now able to login to the 'c' share via SMB and have recreated the 'backup' share. Re-logging into Frontview the 'backup' share has now reappeared!

Many thanks for your help!
Message 20 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

I have a similar problem. In Share access on NV+ w/ 4.1.6.

On boot-up, Raidiator complains about share "Other" being inaccessable.

Do not have SSH access enabled, but do have PHP, PHPShell, and AjaXplorer.

Using PHPShell:

In Root ls -l displays

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 17 11:20 Other -> /c/Other
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 Sep 20 13:23 USB/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 6 18:02 backup -> /c/backup/
[rest removed]

Shares "Other" and "backup" have same permissions and owner, but "Other" lacks final "/" that all other shares have. Hmmm.

In c, ls does not display "Other"

OK, that looks like the problem.

Don't seem to have write capability in "c" (or root, either) via PHPShell (logged on as "admin"), so I can't create "Other" there.

Can't find add-on referenced that is said to fix this.

AjaXplorer does not show "Other" (or "c", for that matter) at all.

Any suggestions besides a factory default?
Message 21 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Try connecting to C as admin using Windows Explorer and see if you can create the Others folder.
Message 22 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

ewok wrote:
Try connecting to C as admin using Windows Explorer and see if you can create the Others folder.

Not aware of a way to do that in share access.
Message 23 of 33
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Message 24 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

Worked like a champ. Upon reboot, declared it successfully re-created the shares, and it indead did.
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements