× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas not visible when on second router

paulped
Follower

readynas not visible when on second router

i have a readynas rnd 2d attached to my night hwak r7000 via ethernet in port 4 and when using the netgear genie, i can see the ready nas rnd 2d on the network. i also have a r6400 night hawk attached to the r7000 night hawk via ethernet in port 1.  when i am using the netgear genie while connected to the r6400 night hawk, the network mapping does not show the readynas rnd 2d nor the r7000 night hawk.  it only shows my device connected to the r6400 night hawk, thne out to the web.  it use to show the full map with my device to the r6400, the r6400 to the r7000, along with the rnd 2d connected to the r7000.  since its not showing the r6400 connected to the r7000, i cant access the rnd 2d when connected to the r6400.  what do i need to adjust to have it map correctly. thank you

Model: ReadyNASRND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas not visible when on second router

It sounds like you are using the RN6400 in router mode.  

Are you using it to extend your wifi, or did you run out of ethernet ports?

-If you are extending wifi, then change the R6400 over to AP mode.

-If you ran out of ethernet ports, buy a gigabit switch and use that instead of the R6400.  Gigabit switches are quite inexpensive.

Message 2 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello paulped,

What is the model number of your ReadyNAS unit? We do not use Genie with it. Mapping it is just through its LAN IP address on a Windows explorer. Just make sure the computer you are using and the ReadyNAS are in the same IP subnet.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello paulped,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

You can connect two routers together if you really need to, but they should be connected between two LAN ports, not the WAN port on one to LAN on the other.  You also need to turn off DHCP on one of them.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You can connect two routers together if you really need to, but they should be connected between two LAN ports, not the WAN port on one to LAN on the other.  You also need to turn off DHCP on one of them.

Or use the AP mode that is built into Nighthawk.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements