× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rn104 updated to 6.4.0 and possible solution to random lock-ups

Re: rn104 updated to 6.4.0 and possible solution to random lock-ups

Hello,

After more than a month without my NAS (NAS constantly locking up).

6.4.1 RC1 did the charm.

I did a factory reset in 6.4.1 RC1 and No more locks up.

I see when the system would hang up, it freeze for about 1 or 2 seconds but then it comes back alive.

I tried with transmission downloading + reloading my data via FTP + resynching data + reading video from smb share and it all worked without the NAS locking up.

Message 76 of 93
Calder
Guide

Thought I'd jump back in here briefly.  I have had no problems at all on both my RN104 ever since I went back to 6.2.5 almost a month ago.  Shutdown has never been reliable even in 6.2.5 and I had pulled the power cord many times after 5 to 10 minutes of "shutting down" without having to resync.  I can't tell you what to do - go the RC or back to 6.2.5, but 6.2.5 has served me well since day one and continues to be solid after downgrading from 6.4.0.

Message 77 of 93
Learning2NAS
Tutor

I've got a RN104 on 6.4.1RC and it still locks up. I created a seperate thread for my issue because I didn't realize this was such a huge problem. Is this something that everyone is just waiting out? This is my first ReadyNAS product and my first "stable" update issue on any device. Betas sometimes come with unforeseen chaos, but stable release bugs are not normally this severe.

Alternatively, I'm still in the return window for my retailer. Should I swap this unit out for one that is not so issue prone? A quick search of the forum shows a lot of struggle with the 104/102 units over the years. Any advice/input/suggested solutions would be much appreciated.

My thread can be found here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN104-Freezes-when-doing-large-transfers-via-US...

Message 78 of 93
Postman
Tutor

I bought a QNAP NAS today. Bybye Netgear, you screwed it.

Regards,

Peter

Message 79 of 93
Learning2NAS
Tutor

Update: Yesterday's problem appears to be solved. 6.4.1RC didn't fix my issue, and it seems to have fixed everyone else's issues so I started to troubleshoot other possibilities. Last week I rotated in a 10 year old disk and it didn't cause any problems until it caused a LOT of problems all at once, so my mind didn't immediately go to that disk. Apparently it was falling behind the rest of the array and causing the RN104 to lock-up. None of my disks have ever been on the "compatability list" and this has never caused me any isses, but for some reason this old drive doesn't play well with the others. It is similarly spec'd, so I'm guessing that it is experiencing some kind of hardware failure that SMART isn't able to pick up.

My appologies for being so alarmed while my crisis was full-swing, and my thanks to all of you for providing such helpful explainations of your issues and solutions. This allowed me to narrow my issue down without waiting on phone support for 11 more hours.

With four fresh (and matching) disks in play, the 6.4.1RC is working well now and moves tons of data with no lock-up.

Message 80 of 93
StephenB
Guru

@Learning2NAS wrote:

...With four fresh (and matching) disks in play, the 6.4.1RC is working well now and moves tons of data with no lock-up.

Great news, thx for the update.  If anything changes, please do let us know.

Message 81 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

6.4.1 is released. Who is taking the risk? 🙂

-> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30110

Message 82 of 93
smashman42
Guide

I had a switch die on me so while everything was offline updated from 6.4.0-B3 to 6.4.1. No problems noticed yet.

Message 83 of 93
wilch
Aspirant

I have been running 6.1 RC1 for 2 weeks now with no problems, so I will upgrade to the 6.1 public release tonight during maintenance window.

Message 84 of 93
StephenB
Guru

@michaelarnauts wrote:

6.4.1 is released. Who is taking the risk? 🙂

-> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30110

I was running the beta already...

I upgraded my RN102 yesterday, and my RN202 today.  I've had no issues.

Message 85 of 93
Calder
Guide

Probably not, going to stay with 6.3.5, at least for the foreseeable future.

Message 86 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

Did anybody had any issues in the meantime with the RN104 on 6.4.1?

Message 87 of 93
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi michaelarnauts,

There's a lot of positive feedback on the latest R6 firmware. Here's a related topic that you can check.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 88 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

BrianL, i'm hesitant to upgrade. I think i was one of the first to go to 6.4.0, and i totally regret that. The downgrade to 6.2.5, and the restore afterwards were a real PITA...

Check https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-RN104-locks-up-after-upgrade-to-6-4-1/...
Message 89 of 93
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi michaelarnauts,

Using the latest Firmware will let us know (NETGEAR and affected users) if it addresses all the issues encountered on the previous 6.4.0 Firmware. It could also help generate a fix in the next Firmware release if the said issues are still being experienced.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 90 of 93
Spxxky
Aspirant

6.4.1 Helped with my lock ups but now it's the same with that... so no, 6.4.1. has not fixed the issue

Message 91 of 93
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Spxxky,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry what issue are you referring to? 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 92 of 93
Calder
Guide

Sorry to hear that, I have not touched 6.4.X and stayed at 6.2.5.  Hope you can get this sorted out soon.

Message 93 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements