× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to rebuild raid netgear casenumber: 19148859

Solfoit
Aspirant

unable to rebuild raid netgear casenumber: 19148859

Hello,

i have a raid 5 config that consists out of 1 500 GB disk and 2 1 TB disks.

One of the 1 TB disks got some SMART errors:
Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 5: Previous count: 0 Current count: 6 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 5: Previous count: 0 Current count: 7 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

so i replaced the disk with a new 1 TB disk.
On the display of my readynas pro i saw that the disk was addes, being tested and the tests passed.
In the logfiles i have the following messages:

New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 5]
Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 5.

According to frontview the new replaced disk is dead and there are no new messages since i replaced the disks (yesterday at 17:17)
I don't see any messages about the resync proces. i think it's not taking place.

What should i do now? Replace the disk with another allthough it is noted that i should remove any disks?

With kind regards,

Ruud
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: unable to rebuild raid

I suggest you open a support case at my.netgear.com and attach your logs zip file (Status > Logs > Download all Logs) to the case.

Please edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in the thread) to include your case number.
Message 2 of 11
Solfoit
Aspirant

Re: unable to rebuild raid

The case number is 19148859
Message 3 of 11
tast101
Aspirant

Re: unable to rebuild raid netgear casenumber: 19148859

Think I'm starting to have the same issue. Just replaced my disk #1 and Frontview reports the disk is dead, but the log and the LED screen say the disk passed the test and the log says it will be resynced but I don't feel confident with frontview and raidar flashing dead disk instead of flashing green that the disk is awaiting resync. Anyway of knowing if it is resyncing or scheduled to kick off?
Message 4 of 11
beisser1
Aspirant

tast101 wrote:
Think I'm starting to have the same issue. Just replaced my disk #1 and Frontview reports the disk is dead, but the log and the LED screen say the disk passed the test and the log says it will be resynced but I don't feel confident with frontview and raidar flashing dead disk instead of flashing green that the disk is awaiting resync. Anyway of knowing if it is resyncing or scheduled to kick off?

that is perfectly normal. it shows the old drive as dead util it starts actually working on the new drive, then the status will update. at some point it should start saying resync: xx%
if it doesnt do that a reboot should give it a push.
Message 5 of 11
tast101
Aspirant

Still in the same status since 8/28. I'll try rebooting it to see what happens. Should I start backing my data up to do a factory reset if the reboot does not fix it?
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

tast101 wrote:
Still in the same status since 8/28. I'll try rebooting it to see what happens. Should I start backing my data up to do a factory reset if the reboot does not fix it?
If you don't have a backup, you should certainly make one right away.
Message 7 of 11
tast101
Aspirant

So how can I force a resync, since it isn't happening on its own? i took a look at Nas Monitor and it shows the resync is down, not sure if its referring to the same thing. I rebooted it and for 40 minutes I still get the dead disk message in raidar even thoguh the LCD on the NAS says the disk passed.
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Have you contacted support?
Message 9 of 11
tast101
Aspirant

Guess thats what I'm gonna have to do, wasn't sure if it was something I could do or not.
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to enter an on-line support ticket for free at my.netgear.com. They won't help you if the disks aren't on the HCL.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements