× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

windows not showing ReadyNAS name in network

aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: windows not showing ReadyNAS name in network

I have a Duo v1 and NV+ v2, and both are currently not shown on Win 7 network browse session. But they have appeared in the past, and sometimes appear if i refresh and wait quite a while. When they appear, I see multiple entries as mentioned by StephenB, i.e. computer, storage, media, etc. If I enter the unit name or IP address, they are accessible all ok.

I think it changes if I reboot the switch between my PC and NASes, but I can't try that immediately, so maybe something kicks the networking interfaces on either end to reestablish reasonable communication?
Message 26 of 94
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just tried browsing my network from my Win 7 PC, and my boxes *did* show up under "storage" but accessing through that just brings the management webpage. They didn't show up under anything else.

I rebooted the switch (Netgear GS108) and voila, both NASes show up under "Computer" and "Media Device" in the same network browser window.

Something triggers the NASes to start up (from idle/sleep, not power down), and once they are up they appear. I have no idea why!
Message 27 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

I've rebooted numerous times without any change. I will try rebooting network and see if that has any impact.
Message 28 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

rebooting PCs, network, NAS has no effect for me.
Message 29 of 94
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All my NAS devices are still showing up fine today, and on multiple PCs! It's a bit of a mystery.
Message 30 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Are you running IPv6 on your network?
Message 31 of 94
Lover
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with ReadyNAS OS 6 version 6.2.2 and Windows 7 x64 "Network" discovery. I cannot see my ReadyNAS on Network in "Windows Explorer". Other devices (desktop, leptop and other) are seen od the Network in "Windows Explorer".

Is there a problem with SMB version 3.0 set to default or a problem in ReadyNAS OS 6 version 6.2.2?
Message 32 of 94
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, no IPv6 in use on my network (that I know of, as in all devices have regular IPv4 addresses).

I checked again, and my NAS's are still showing up fine, several weeks since my last reboot of the switch. I'm not sure it is a switch issue, but more that doing a power cycle forces the attached devices to reestablish their network connections. When the 'disappear' again, I will pull just the network cable from a NAS to check.
Message 33 of 94
StephenB
Guru

This is a recurring theme, and not just about OS6 products. I suspect windows network discovery is a bit hit or miss myself.
Message 34 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Yea, I agree. the NAS is just doing SAMBA.
Message 35 of 94
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have no concrete evidence here, but it is rather strange that it always seems to behave correctly once I reboot my switch, whereas rebooting the PC (a daily occurrence) never seems to change this. When it goes wrong again, I will attempt to get more information.
Message 36 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

I haven't booted my switch in a while. Mine is a D-Link smart managed switch (so there's tons of stuff there)
Message 37 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

Any resolution to this? I am running into the same problem. No PCs (win7, Win8.1, and Win10) on my network will see the NAS device listed under network.

Workgroup is set properly on all devices..

nmbd appears to be up and running on the NAS104:

[2015/01/23 02:19:36.964147,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
[2015/01/23 02:19:59.212262, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
***** Samba name server NAS is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.250 *****

Is there a bug open to address this?

Thank you.
Message 38 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

I kinda just gave up on it since it can be worked around. But still, I know it was working before (6.1.9 I think) quit reliably.

Nothing else changed on my network.
Message 39 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

ScottChapman wrote:
I kinda just gave up on it since it can be worked around. But still, I know it was working before (6.1.9 I think) quit reliably.

Nothing else changed on my network.

Hi Scott.. What workaround was successful for you? I have rebooted everything on the network.. no change..
Message 40 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

mapping network drives. Not a great solution. But once you know what shares you need, it helps to have them mounted.
Message 41 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

ScottChapman wrote:
mapping network drives. Not a great solution. But once you know what shares you need, it helps to have them mounted.

Oh, I have no problem accessing the device directly.. I'm looking for something to restore its listing in the network. If you have a lot of guest users that use the network, its a pain to explain to them how to mount it up since they can not see it on the network. I need to restore this functionality so guest users can find the device on their own..

It sounds like I need to contact netgear and open an issue.

Thank you for your quick responses.
Message 42 of 94
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Chairface wrote:
ScottChapman wrote:

Oh, I have no problem accessing the device directly.. I'm looking for something to restore its listing in the network. If you have a lot of guest users that use the network, its a pain to explain to them how to mount it up since they can not see it on the network. I need to restore this functionality so guest users can find the device on their own..

It sounds like I need to contact netgear and open an issue.

Thank you for your quick responses.

Sure, please post results back to the forum?
Message 43 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

Sure, please post results back to the forum?

Will do! I've opened a support ticket.
Message 44 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

Received a response from Netgear Support:

Hi Sean,

Thank you for the quick response.

I double checked on the forums as well and it shows that they already created a ticket for this kind of situation and is waiting for the response from the Engineering department.

Please do check the forums from time to time since we did not have any estimated time on when they can fix this.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

NETGEAR Support Expert

So sounds like a bug was created for Engineering to look at. At least we know its being addressed.

I guess there is no way for non-employees to follow bug updates tho.
Message 45 of 94
StephenB
Guru

Chairface wrote:
I guess there is no way for non-employees to follow bug updates tho.
None that I know of.
Message 46 of 94
carloxp
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue here.
Just purchased ReadyNAS 102, working with Windows 8.1 and router Netgear D6300.
Seen the NAS on the Lan for two hours, then disappeared.
Tried on 4 different devices, but nothing.
Accessible via \\ReadyNAS.
Visible as Multimedia device and Storage device, but not as shared computer.
Thank you
Message 47 of 94
StephenB
Guru

sigh....

Sometimes is shows up, sometimes it won't. Personally I think its a windows issue, but its hard to be sure.

What you CAN DO is
(a) enter \\nasname or \\nasipaddress in the windows explorer address bar
(b) create a shortcut on the desktop to \\nasname\sharename
(c) map \\nasname\sharename as a windows drive letter
(d) add \\nasname\sharename as a "network location"

(c) and (d) will show the sharename in Computer.
Message 48 of 94
Chairface
Tutor

A breakdown in compatibility somewhere for sure, but I'm not sure Windows is to blame per-say.. Windows sees other Windows machines on the network perfectly with no misses for me. So the NetBIOS over IP name is being discovered/broadcast properly. Perhaps a snoop / tcpdump of the connection while the negotiating is occurring may shed some light on the issue. A wireshark capture from the Windows side even may show some sort of breakdown. If nmbd was upgraded as part of the NAS OS upgrade, perhaps some incompatibility was introduced. All speculation at this point, but I may try and do some troubleshooting here and update the forum.

Thanks all!
Message 49 of 94
StephenB
Guru

Windows discovery on my Win7 systems is a bit temperamental, and sometimes also drops printers and other non-NAS devices. So I think it is most likely to be a windows discovery issue. I agree it might have another cause.

Let us know what you find.
Message 50 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements