× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.1.7 Slow To Respond To SMB Network Discovery...

IanSav
Apprentice

Hi WSJ,
WSJ wrote:
Good point - well, it seems that 4.1.7 has numberous bugs

And still no reaction or action from Netgear. 😞

Regards,
Ian.
Message 76 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, maybe it would help if really everybody who is effected by the bugs would submit a support message.
The more customers are reporting problems, the harder it will be to ignore them.
And: it spoils the (internal) statistics ... (and might also have a negative impact on manager's KPIs ...).
Message 77 of 180
Exo1
Aspirant

Still no action/reaction? :evil:
Message 78 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately not ...
Message 79 of 180
biggerbyte1
Aspirant

Well, I mentioned earlier that going back to 4.1.6 fixed the issues we are seeing with 4.1.7. I thought all was well, and it is for the most part. But suddenly now I keep getting these emails telling me that there is a firmware update, version 4.1.7, that is available. I used to never get this when I had a firmware update available. The message appears to be sent from/by the NAS. It is every few days, and it is soooooo annoying.

Any ideas?
Message 80 of 180
Milhouse
Tutor

biggerbyte wrote:
Well, I mentioned earlier that going back to 4.1.6 fixed the issues we are seeing with 4.1.7. I thought all was well, and it is for the most part. But suddenly now I keep getting these emails telling me that there is a firmware update, version 4.1.7, that is available. I used to never get this when I had a firmware update available. The message appears to be sent from/by the NAS. It is every few days, and it is soooooo annoying.

Any ideas?

Always been working that way, either you didn't automatic update checks enabled or it was somehow broken but is now fixed with your new 4.1.6 install. To stop the emails, try the following:

System -> Update -> Settings

Uncheck "Automatically check for updates"
Message 81 of 180
biggerbyte1
Aspirant

Yes, I took it upon myself to uncheck that last night. I thought that was probably the issue. Strange that I've never bothered with that setting either way in the past.

Thank you very much for trying to help me out. You confirmed my theory, so now the issue should be gone. Once 4.1.8 comes out, and these 4.1.7 issues are resolved, I shall turn this feature back on. It could be rather handy with the right conditions.. No? 🙂

Take Care..

BB
Message 82 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

biggerbyte wrote:
Once 4.1.8 comes out ...

Well, that seems to be fairly unlikely ... - at least with regards to new features. :shock:

But definetly, Netgear will have to provide fixes for the bugs which seem to be introduced with 4.1.7. So, yes, there should be a 4.1.8 - and hopefully in the near future. :roll:
Message 83 of 180
Krusher
Aspirant

I thought that maybe it was always this way after the recent upgrade because I was getting used to it. After reading more about it here though, yep I have the same thing as everyone else regarding the initial network file share. (On both XP and Win 7 computers.)

The good news is that I toggled CIFS off/on and so far, it's working instantaneously again when I open up a share. Hopefully it stays that way; I don't reboot my NV+ unless I have to for some reason.

Thanks for the tips.
Message 84 of 180
arsenicrun
Aspirant

This Netgear forum is initially deceptive so don't get your hopes up. Despite the efforts of the community to document, test and resolve the issue, the last message from anyone associated with Netgear about this was December 12 that basically said "I can't reproduce the problem; seems like your config files might be corrupt." Honestly, this forum just being here is crushing my expectations as a consumer.

I have been living off of the 4.1.6 firmware to cope.
Message 85 of 180
hno
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has it been confirmed this issue is not seen when the ReadyNAS is configured with a static IP?

If the issue is only seen when the ReadyNAS gets it's IP via DHCP then it's probably a timing issue at startup, either related to IP assignment as such or DNS Server information (/etc/resolv.conf). I am guessing the latter.
Message 86 of 180
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi WSJ,

Has there been any contact, progress or resolution from your Netgear support ticket?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 87 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

IanSav wrote:
Has there been any contact, progress or resolution from your Netgear support ticket?

Not in the last 4 weeks - I've updated my inquiry asking for a status update.
Message 88 of 180
chirpa
Luminary

I've asked an L3 agent to check out your case history, #14577085
Message 89 of 180
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Chirpa,

Thank you for following up on this issue. The many of us who are affected by this problem very much appreciate the update.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 90 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:

Thanks chirpa for stepping in, finally.
But all that did happen is that my case got closed - without providing any solution.
I did not see any L3 taking over.

Oh, I've also been asked to participate in "The NETGEAR Customer Support Survey" - this I will do. :evil:
Message 91 of 180
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've now opened a new case 15187681 (since I was unable to re-open case #14577085).
Message 92 of 180
nikstar101
Aspirant

Add another person to the slow access issue.

I wasn't sure if it was 4.1.7 or the fact that i added a new Seagate drive to the Duo, but it seems with everyone else experiencing this issue it must be 4.1.7.
Message 93 of 180
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

WSJ wrote:
chirpa wrote:

Thanks chirpa for stepping in, finally.
But all that did happen is that my case got closed - without providing any solution.
I did not see any L3 taking over.

Oh, I've also been asked to participate in "The NETGEAR Customer Support Survey" - this I will do. :evil:

Looks like the case got closed out by the auto-closer. I'll see if I can replicate this tomorrow when I get in, I went ahead and assigned the case to my queue.
Message 94 of 180
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Siigna,

Do you have any updates on this issue?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 95 of 180
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

For some reason, same as Jedi Knight, I can't reproduce this issue with my setup. Duo w/ 4.1.7 and my Win7 client, only thing I've got in between here is a little GS105. Browsing to CIFS shares is pretty much instantaneous, I'm not seeing any wait time here. I'll load up one of the shares with data here, give it a reboot and see what happens.
Message 96 of 180
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Siigna,

Is there anything any of us who do have the problem can do to assist you track the issue down?

The problem is a solid failure here *every* time my DUO restarts. The workaround is to bounce the SMB service and then all is fine until the next restart.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 97 of 180
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Actually if anyone here that can replicate the issue has root access that'd be great. If you can increase the logging for samba and try connecting to the share, then send me the resulting logs that might be helpful here.

You can either increase the log level in /etc/samba/smb.conf (log level = 0 auth:2 should be the line), or send the smbd process a kill -SIGUSR1 to increase verbosity by one level (SIGUSR2 to decrease a level).

Log level 2 should give me enough information here, so either edit the config and reload samba/restart the NAS or send it the SIGUSR1 signal twice, make the connection and grab the log (/var/log/samba/log.smbd). Make sure to revert the changes afterwards else you run the risk of filling up the OS partition with logging.

Another thing that might be helpful here is a packet capture while trying the connection as well (with Wireshark or something of the sort).
Message 98 of 180
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Siigna,

I don't have the access you suggest but is the extra logging something you can trigger remotely? I am in Australia but would be prepared to find a time we can work together to try and track this issue down.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 99 of 180
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

IanSav wrote:
Hi Siigna,

I don't have the access you suggest but is the extra logging something you can trigger remotely? I am in Australia but would be prepared to find a time we can work together to try and track this issue down.

Regards,
Ian.

That would work. PM me your contact info and I'll get in touch with you.
Message 100 of 180
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements