× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access to RaedyNAS 102 in Windows 8 as admin

AtcKenny
Aspirant

Access to RaedyNAS 102 in Windows 8 as admin

Hi

I'm having a peculiar problem that I am unable to solve on my own it seems. I've been tinkering with this for 10-20 hours now without being able to identify the exact problem or solution, I'm hoping someone out there can help me get to a EUREKA moment. The problem is this:

I can not access my READYNAS102 via windows file explorer when logged in to the main windows account (the administrator account). The ReadyNAS is visible under network, but when I click it this error notification appears instantly:

" Windows cannot access \\*****
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose."

Details: Error code 0x80070035. The network path was not found."

If I try to access the NAS by typing in the IP adress "\\192.168.1.25" a dialog appears after a few seconds prompting for username and password, however it will not accept any of the combinations I enter, and after two tries the same error notification as above will appear.

When I use RAIDar to find the NAS, everything seems to be ok and normal, however when I press the "BROWSE" button a few seconds passes, and an error notification saying "\\192.168.1.25 The element was not found" appears.

The Front View web interface works perfectly.

This is from my new desktop computer running Win8.1.

This is where it gets peculiar for me:

If I log on to my wifes windows account instead, everything works perfectly, The NAS appears in the windows explorer, I can browse through the folders, add and delete content, it just works. Some folders are available without password (guest access granted), other folders prompt for username/password, and when I enter a valid username/password combination I get full access.

At this point I'm thinking that theres is an issue with the administrator rights on my main windows account, so I give administrator rights to my wife's account as well, restart, and expect everything NOT to work anymore, but to my surprise, everything still works perfectly.

None of the accounts have any information in the windows credentials manager for the NAS. I have tried entering credentials for use, but have had no luck in getting the main windows account to connect to the NAS in windows explorer. (It sees it, but won't open to browse).

My ReadyNAS is assigned a static IP adress, as well as both my new and old desktops

I have rebooted the NAS, the Router and the Desktops repeatedly during this process.

I'm able to run backup jobs created via Front View to both my main windows account and my wifes windows account without problem.

ReadyNAS firmware version 6.1.4
RAIDar version 4.3.8

As a final curiousity all the media files on the NAS is available in windows explorer. Illustrated below you can see that clicking the folder circled in blue lets me browse the media files and folders on the NAS, but the "folder" circled in red produces the error notification, so I can't browse the folder structure of the NAS.

From my old desktop running Win7 everything works perfectly when I'm logged into the main windows account (administrator)

I feel I'm at a dead end here. What is it about my main account that makes the ReadyNAS decline the connection? Any help appreciated.

Best Regards

Kenneth
Message 1 of 4
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Re: Access to RaedyNAS 102 in Windows 8 as admin

A similar problem (although not an identical problem, at least as you've explained it) occurs in Win7 and Vista. The fix for those OSes is simple; I've documented it here:
https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74204
Perhaps the same fix will work for you, or maybe the description of that fix will at least give you some new Google search terms to try.
Message 2 of 4
AtcKenny
Aspirant

fastfwd wrote:
A similar problem (although not an identical problem, at least as you've explained it) occurs in Win7 and Vista. The fix for those OSes is simple; I've documented it here: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74204
Perhaps the same fix will work for you, or maybe the description of that fix will at least give you some new Google search terms to try.

Hi

Thx for the reply, but I already tried this solution and it didn't have any effect on my system.
Message 3 of 4
Roel1
Apprentice

I had a similar problem when I updated from Windows 7, where it worked, to Windows 8, when I got the same error as you: Error 0x80070035 Windows cannot access //NAS-xx-yy-zz. ReadyNAS support, although very nice, didn't have a solution.

My solution came from this site:
http://superuser.com/questions/531992/w ... 998#531998

Specifically this:
There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.

To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 7 / 8, in Category view click on the text "System and Security", then click on the text "Administrative Tools".

Now double click and open "Local Security Policy".

In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the "Local Policies --> Security Options" then about 2/3rd's the way down the list you'll see a Policy called "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level". Double click and change the setting to be "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again.

Good luck.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements