× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot write or delete to shared folders after windows upgrade

emilponken
Aspirant

Cannot write or delete to shared folders after windows upgrade

Hi,
I'm a newbie to network fiddling an realy just want things to work. I have a ReadyNas Ultra 2 with a couple of shares which I've mapped as a network drive in windows 7. After upgrading first to Windows 8 then Windows 10 I'm no longer able to add or delete files from some folders on my shares. I get the error message "Access to target folder was denied" (freely translated from swedish) and that says that I need permission to perform this action.

But how could I've lost permission in the first place? But most important, how do I regain permission?

I think I've covered the basics by trying change ownership, permission levels etc from Windows. But for every action I'm taking I end up with the same message. I seem not be able to do any changes at all to my shares. Is there anything that has to be done in Frontview? 'Cause it doesn't seem to be anything that can be done from Windows.

Please, please help!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot write or delete to shared folders after windows upgrade

Look on the "advanced options" tab for the share in frontview (click on "shares", then the CIFS icon for specific share.  Advanced options is a tab on the upper right).

You will see an checkbox labeled "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings"  Make sure the settings are what you want.  For a wide-open share, use "nobody" for the owner and "nogroup" for the group.  Permissions would be read/write for everything.

Then set the checkbox and click apply. The checkbox immediately clears, and file permissions are adjusted in the background.  There will be a pop-up (and a log entry) when it completes.

You can also create a windows credential in the windows credential manager for each NAS (specifying the NAS username/password).  For instance, create a single account on the NAS (admin will actually work), and use that same user/password on all PCs.  You should certainly create credentials if you are using a microsoft logon.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Look on the "advanced options" tab for the share in frontview (click on "shares", then the CIFS icon for specific share.  Advanced options is a tab on the upper right).

You will see an checkbox labeled "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings"  Make sure the settings are what you want.  For a wide-open share, use "nobody" for the owner and "nogroup" for the group.  Permissions would be read/write for everything.

Then set the checkbox and click apply. The checkbox immediately clears, and file permissions are adjusted in the background.  There will be a pop-up (and a log entry) when it completes.

You can also create a windows credential in the windows credential manager for each NAS (specifying the NAS username/password).  For instance, create a single account on the NAS (admin will actually work), and use that same user/password on all PCs.  You should certainly create credentials if you are using a microsoft logon.

Message 2 of 3
emilponken
Aspirant

I swear, if you stood next to me I would kiss you!!!
Thanks a billion!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements