× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Crazy Access Denied behavior - even with latest beta

architect73
Aspirant

Crazy Access Denied behavior - even with latest beta

Our small business office has been using our ReadyNAS Ultra4000 for about 3 months without access problems until yesterday. Usually when trying to open any files or folders in the 'media' share, it will say access denied. Strangely this access problem will come and go. You'll reboot the NAS and PC and have access to the files for 5 minutes and then you'll get access denied. Or you'll have access through windows explorer, but when you try to open a file directly through an application like MS Word, you'll get locked out with "access denied". Then occasionally files access will magically be restored an hour later and then disappear 5 minutes after that. I havent been able to pin down the rhyme or reason the access comes and goes. Right now its a crap shoot. Needless to say, this is making things difficult in our office and my boss is getting pissed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have full read/write, allow guest access enabled
(checked) Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.
(checked) Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this.
I was running RAIDiator-x86 4.2.19 but upgraded to RAIDiator-x86 4.2.20-T32 but the problem persisted.
I've tried renaming 'media' and then naming it back and that didnt work either.
I have both Windows 7 64 bit and windows XP machines accessing the NAS.
Message 1 of 3
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: Crazy Access Denied behavior - even with latest beta

1st fix the permissions of the shares, follow the steps below:

To open the file permission for NEW files, follow the steps below:

Configuring Advance CIFS Permissions:
1. Go to Share listings
2. Click Cifs icon of the specific share name
3. Scroll down and put a check on "Automatically set permissions on new files and folders" under Advance CIFS Permissions.

To open the file permission for EXSISTING files, follow the steps below:

Configuring Advance Options:
1. Go to Share listings
2. Click Cifs icon of the specific share name
3. Go to Advance Options tab
4. Share folder owner: (type the share name)
5. Share folder group: (nogroup)
6. Put a check on "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings" and click Apply.

P.S.
After you put a click on the Apply button the check will disappear inside the check box, it's normal because it's an action box.

2nd check any possible network issue such us packet drops, etc... You can directly connect it to a PC and set a staic ip 192.168.168.x and the IP of the nas will default to 192.168.168.168 if it is set to obtain IP from DHCP.
Message 2 of 3
architect73
Aspirant

Re: Crazy Access Denied behavior - even with latest beta

For the time being, I seem to have fixed things. I created a new share and copied all the files from the old share to the new share. The settings and permissions are the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will continue to work.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements