× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Google Drive Sync

socross
Aspirant

Google Drive Sync

We have a set up whereby several users and the NAS have Google Drive Accounts in the cloud. Folders/files are shared in various combinations.

We've discovered a bug whereby if the ownership of a file/folder is changed in Google Drive in the cloud, the NAS no longer syncs that file/folder, even if it is owned by, or shared with, the NAS's Google Drive. In fact the file/folder is deleted from the NAS altogether, even if it did previously sync OK.

We're running ReadyNAS 6.7.1. We are aware there is a firmware update available, but the release notes say nothing about Google Drive sync.

Can anyone shed any light on this bug.

Thanks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
socross
Aspirant

Re: Google Drive Sync

Update: Actually it does appear to sync after all, but only after about 2 hrs, which is not really satisfactory, to say the least.

Message 2 of 5
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello socross,

The sync process should be in real time but it is still internet speed dependent. On the setting of the google drive there is an option where you can declare the upload speed and download speed the Google Drive will utilize. Also you will need to consider the people and the application they are using on through the internet during the sync process since it will also affect internet speed of the network.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
socross
Aspirant

Thanks Marty. I appreciate all you are saying and it is all valid, but the point is that in this case a file disappeared from ReadyNAS for about two hours just because its owner was changed in Google Drive in the cloud. The file was still shared with the ReadyNAS's Google Drive account, so a change of ownership in Google Drive should not have affected the sync with ReadyNAS. Incidentally the test file we used to check this was tiny, only a few kB, so it's not an issue of broadband capacity.

I have done the same test on Google drive accounts and the correspponding Google Drive sync clients for Windows, not associated with a ReadyNAS, and it all works fine.

So it seems clear to me that there is a serious bug in the ReadyNAS Google Drive Sync client, which Netgear need to address.

Mike
Message 4 of 5
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello socross,

I have personally tried the Google drive feature from our laboratory and it is working fine. The NAS I was using was running on the latest firmware version 6.7.5

Firmware version 6.7.5 was officially release few days ago. I do recommend to update the firmware of your NAS and check if that will address the concern.

Regards,
Marty 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements