× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 516 Bios

funglenn
Luminary

ReadyNAS 516 Bios

I sent a note to one of the moderators, but does anyone knwo where I can download the 7/13 Bios for the readynas 516? I need to update mine from the 5/13 1.0 bios to the newer one that supports virtualization.

thank you

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I replied to your PM. The 07/03/2013 BIOS is the earliest that has VT-x enabled but it isn't the latest BIOS.

Updating the BIOS is an advanced process. Furthermore there are some side effects from updating from such an old BIOS as yours that need to be manually addressed. So it's better to consider requests like this on a case by case basis.

It's important not to interrupt a BIOS update whilst it's in progress as if you do so you'll brick your device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I replied to your PM. The 07/03/2013 BIOS is the earliest that has VT-x enabled but it isn't the latest BIOS.

Updating the BIOS is an advanced process. Furthermore there are some side effects from updating from such an old BIOS as yours that need to be manually addressed. So it's better to consider requests like this on a case by case basis.

It's important not to interrupt a BIOS update whilst it's in progress as if you do so you'll brick your device.

Message 2 of 4
funglenn
Luminary

mdgm,

thanks for the help. it took like 60 minutes to get it into the right mode.  Anyone trying this, pull out your array and use a scratch drive. Shocking if anyone gets it on the first try.

also odd, the instructions state to use a bigger flash drive than 2 GB. I tried a 32 GB and a 16 GB, what finally worked best was an old 1GB or 512MB, it was tiny.

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Only some USB keys are compatible. The suggestion to use one >2GB is due to issues encountered on some old BIOS, older than what your unit shipped with.

Now that your BIOS has been updated in future this system will boot off a NETGEAR USB service key connected to the front port automatically (e.g. in the very unlikely event USB Boot Recovery is required). The difficult process of having to do things at the right time to boot off USB isn't needed after the update.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements