× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 beeps every 15 minutes

Scott6113
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 516 beeps every 15 minutes

Driving me nuts since it is right behind me. All the lights are green, fully populated with 4TB Hitachis. RAID 5, about 3 TB of 18 formatted used. Almost 5 years old. Watch battery? No data errors. Will not email me with problems. Remote diagnostics pass.

I'm about to do a full backup, reformat, and chuck the thing if it won't behave.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 516 beeps every 15 minutes

The NAS has no speaker.  If one of the disks is chirping, then it is failing and needs to be replaced.  You'd probably need to power down and test the disks in a PC (lifeguard or seatools).  That might help isolate it.

Some other nearby device (UPS or perhaps your ISP's termination) of course could also be doing this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
TeknoJnky
Hero

Do you have a UPS in the same area?

I have heard UPS's beeping due to failing batteries, but never heard my readynas's beep like that.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The NAS has no speaker.  If one of the disks is chirping, then it is failing and needs to be replaced.  You'd probably need to power down and test the disks in a PC (lifeguard or seatools).  That might help isolate it.

Some other nearby device (UPS or perhaps your ISP's termination) of course could also be doing this.

Message 3 of 4
Scott6113
Aspirant

I feel like a dolt. Yes it had a UPS next to it and the first thing I did was substitute another UPS and still got the beep. I never thought of the Verizon FIOS fiber station on the wall nearby. It has a red light for low battery. My tech had the idea of hanging out right next to the NAS to hear where it was coming from. Only if you are in that close a proximity can you audibly locate the beep.

Sorry to bother you all. But the NAS is critical to our operation, and I rely on it, being RAID 5. The backup drive I ordered won't be a waste, but the spare UPS batteries are probably premature. I'll just call Verizon and get them to swap the battery. It looks openable but being their equipment, best to let them.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements