× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Pro 2 - Access denied from Window 7

Nine01
Tutor

ReadyNas Pro 2 - Access denied from Window 7

Hello,

when I try to connect to shares on my NAS, I get "System error 1240". My NAS has the latest Firmware installed "RAIDiator 4.2.28"

One year ago I had the same problem when I try to connect a domain based Windows 7 client to the NAS. I added the following settings to the smb.conf and all works fine.

• client NTLMv2 auth = yes
  • client lanman auth = yes
  • lanman auth = yes
  • ntlm auth = yes
  • client signing = auto
  • server signing = auto

These settings are still there.

I didn't change any configuration on the Windows PC or on the NAS. I just installed the regular updates for my Windows PC and the NAS. I think an update changes something so the authentification between Windows und Linux is broken.

On my PC I enabled Plaintextpasswords - but it doesn't solve the problem.

Has anyone the same problems and a solution?

Best regards

Christine

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Nine01
Tutor

Re: ReadyNas Pro 2 - Access denied from Window 7

Hello,

thanks to all your help.

Unfortunately, none of the proposed measures has solved my problem.

Only by resetting the system using a four-week-old system restore point has given me access back to my data.

Best regards,

Christine

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nine01,

Which standard file protocol do you use to access the shares? Have you tried another computer to see if the same? Can you still access the FrontView?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
Nine01
Tutor

Hello JennC,

thanks for your answer.

I'm using SMB protocol while connecting to the shares on my ReadyNas.

I can access frontview. When I add http to the protocols for the share, I can see my folders und files.

Best regards,

Christine Trzaska

Message 3 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nine01,

What is the exact error message?

Can you check the share permissions? Have you tried on another computer?

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nine01, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 12
Nine01
Tutor

Hello JohnRo,

sorry to tell you, that the issue isn't solved.

On a second PC I can make a connection to the NAS. I compared the installed patches and the local security settings. On both PCs they are the same.

The error message is something like this (the PCs are with German Windows, so I translate the message):

System error 1240: With this account your are not able to login from this computer.

Best regards

Christine Trzaska

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the name of the PC or the name of the user logged into the PC the same as the name of a user or a share on the NAS?

Message 7 of 12
Nine01
Tutor

Hello mdgm,

no the PC, the share and the user have all different names.

There are two PCs. PC1 has never been a member of a domain, PC2 has been - a year ago - member of a domain. After rejoining PC2 to the workgroup, I wasn't able to access the shares on the NAS. I made the above mentioned changes on the NAS an was able to access the shares for about one year. I didn't make any changes to the configuration of PC2 or the NAS and suddenly PC1 isn't able to access the shares.

Best regards,

Christine Trzaska

Message 8 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nine01,

It must be a setting on the computer that needs to be restarted or adjusted.

Can you check https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/kb/2696547

Also, make sure the share permission does not disallow the access from the IP address of this PC1 (or any computer).

Regards,

Message 9 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nine01,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 10 of 12
Nine01
Tutor

Hello,

thanks to all your help.

Unfortunately, none of the proposed measures has solved my problem.

Only by resetting the system using a four-week-old system restore point has given me access back to my data.

Best regards,

Christine

Message 11 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Nine01,

It looks like the problem is solely on your PC (after windows updates; happened with Windows 10 systems before) and was resolved by doing a system restore if I'm not mistaken. You also could've tried resetting the permission of the said share (if possible).

Kind regards, 

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements