× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share permissions (samba force user/group)

mjleonard
Aspirant

Share permissions (samba force user/group)

I have been running os6.5.0 on my old ultra6 for some time now, and everything seems to be going well. I am however trying to setup a CIFS share so that regardless of user account used to connect, the files are saved under a specified user/group.

I believe this would be the samba 'force user' and 'force group' configuration lines at the share level in a standard samba.conf. Is there any way to set this from the GUI?

Detailed use case:

I have dropbox running on the nas as user X under the share Dropbox, I have this share set so that anyone in group Y can read/write. Lets say user Z from group Y writes to the Dropbox share, the file is written and the ownership is set as user Z - this unfortunately causes the file not to be syned with dropbox. I want that a file written by any user in group Y is actually saved to disk as user X.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Matthew

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Share permissions (samba force user/group)

You can make modifications to the Samba share using /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides

[Share]
   path = /data/Share
   force user = root
   force group = root
[global]

Make sure Share matches your share from your config (can doublecheck testparm or look at /data/._share/Share/samba.conf, or /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf). Also, don't forget the [global] at the end. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements