× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow performance after upgrade my ReadyNAS 314 to 6.4.1

ELBaudoin
Initiate

Slow performance after upgrade my ReadyNAS 314 to 6.4.1

I am experiencing serious performance issues after upgarde to 6.4.1, relating to opening files from the server. I don't know what to do. Can somebody help me?

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow performance after upgrade my ReadyNAS 314 to 6.4.1

Please let us know your case number if you have a support case.

Were you updating from 6.4.0 or an older release?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Edit: Are any of you using the anti-virus service? If so, on 6.4.1 does performance return to normal if you disable the anti-virus service?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 26

All Replies
WarrenT
Tutor

Hi,

I have 3 RaedyNAS 312 devices and all are extremely slow after upgrade from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1. Almost unuseable.

Message 2 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please let us know your case number if you have a support case.

Were you updating from 6.4.0 or an older release?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Edit: Are any of you using the anti-virus service? If so, on 6.4.1 does performance return to normal if you disable the anti-virus service?

Message 3 of 26
ELBaudoin
Initiate

Hi mdgm,

I was using the anti virus service. And yes, when I turn it off it goes back to normal! So it seems that is the issue for me. What should I do now? Will there come a fix where I can enable the virus scanner again without issues?

Message 4 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We will look into this problem.

Btw are you using a torrent app? If so, that may be the problem.

For now you could stay on 6.4.1 with AV disabled or if you prefer enable it and downgrade back to 6.4.0.

Message 5 of 26
connor25
Tutor

I was using 6.4 an upgraded, had same issues, I have got the anti virus running on it, but didn't think to try it with that off before I restored it and it worked fine again!

Message 6 of 26
lenscooter
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS 202 was also rendered useless after upgrade from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1. I could not access files on the NAS from my PC, although backup prgrams worked.

The problem completely went away after I turned off the antivirus option in my RN202. I trust there will be a quick fix to this!

Message 7 of 26
Weyrman
Tutor

Same issue here

Message 8 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ELBaudoin & Weyrman,

Welcome to the community!

Were you guys using SMB? If yes, disable the AV of the ReadyNAS system and try it again.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 26
Weyrman
Tutor

I had done as the thread suggested and speeds are back to normal. Expecting a patch soon.

Message 10 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Weyrman,

Thanks for the feedback. Let's wait for further updates regarding the fix to this problem.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 26
Worli
Tutor

I upgraded my RN314 from 6.4.0.

Yes, when disabling the Antivirus the performmance is absolutely fine and as expected.

When having Antivirus active, it is impossible to work. Therefore I turned it off.

kind regards

Christian W.

Message 12 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Worli,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. NETGEAR will soon release a Firmware that will address this issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 26
cleveland_rocks
Aspirant

I am also experiencing very slow performance (on OS 6.4.1) with the AV service enabled.  Shutting it off returned the file system to its normal efficient self. It's a pity, since the AV found a few infected files that Kaspersky missed.

Hope this is fixed in the new patch.

Message 14 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cleveland_rocks,

NETGEAR is working on a fix but there's no ETA when it will be released. 

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 26
webZplus
Star

I'm slow (pun intended) glad I found this, since the upgrade to 6.4.1 my ReadyNAS 202 has become so slow it's unusable, I can't wait to turn off the Anti-Virus and try it again, yesterday it took me over 1 hour to open two small files (and excel spreadsheet and a word doc) and then save the word document as a PDF - ReadyCloud via the app on my Laptop (Windows 10) also sits there 'Connecting...' for hours and never actually connects... I'm hoping that the Anti-Virus thing might fix that too - note to self don't ever perform upgrades prior to holidays or extended time away from the office where connectivity is required 😞

Message 16 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi webZplus,

I suggest that you turn off the AV feature or much better, install the latest Beta Firmware that addresses the issue that you encountered.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 26
Mickcoz
Aspirant

I have the same issue since upgrade to 6.4.1

Performance is abismal to the point that it can take beyond 5 minutes to open folders and attempting to select files for copying or moving takes at least a further 5 minutes to get the copy sub menu selection.

I thought it was win 8.1 and having lots of folders and files on the ReadyNAS that was causing the issue as we'd bought a new laptop with win 8.1 around the same time as the ReadyNAS was upgraded to 6.4.1.

I added an extra disk, taking it to 4 disks yesterday, thinking having over 70% usage was slowing the system down.

As suggested above I've turned off Antivirus and performance went instantly back to normal. 

Thanks for the interim solution to get us working again.

Hopefully you'll find the cause of the slow down soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Message 18 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mickcoz,

A beta Firmware has been released and it has positive feedback about the issues encountered in the previous firmware. I hope you could give it a try or wait for it's official release.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 26
Mickcoz
Aspirant

Thanks Brian,

I'm not keen on trying a beta release so I think I'll just wait for the official update. 

Cheers,

Mick

Message 20 of 26
pserratore
Tutor

go back to 6.4.0 and disable AV!
Message 21 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Try just disabling AV first.

Message 22 of 26
webZplus
Star

Thank you Brian, turning off the Anti Virus immediately brought the speed back... now if only I can resolve the issue of ReadyCloud unable to connect from my laptop (windows 10 and ReadyCloud Client v1.9) I'll be happy 🙂

Message 23 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi webZplus,

Great! This AV issue is still being addressed. With regard to your ReadyCLOUD issue with your Windows 10 PC, you could check similar or relevant posts in the community that may help. Check this page out.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello,

I do have this problem only when accessing my ReadyNAS104 from my Windows PC.

Unfotunately I have to use this PC when manging my Garmin with MapSource or Base Camp.

Logging in an the NAS using 'top' I can see that CPU usages: <1% user, <1% sys, >98% nice 0% idle.

The task which is occupying the CPU is 'ctscand'. I don't know what it is doing.

My guess is that every time a directory is accessed via SMB somthing like a scan is running.

When accessing the NAS with my Linux PC - which I normaly use - I don't notice a significant slowdown provided that the Windows PC is not accessing the NAS. 

So far I did not check with Anivirus off.

Since working with MapSource etc. is virtually impossible I hope for an upgrade.

So far

werwolf

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements