× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange - Cannot Delete Files or Folders in Shares

BMWBig61
Aspirant

Strange - Cannot Delete Files or Folders in Shares

Here is what I'm running:

ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]

I searched the archives and double-checked my permissions (CIFS, AFP, HTTP), and don't see anything obvious that I could have missed. I'm just trying to delete some files in one of my shares from Windows Explorer (Win 7 Pro 64). It appears like it's working (I see the normal file deletion prompts and warnings) but after the progress bar hits 100% and I hit refresh, all of the folders and files are still there! I tried to delete the same folders from other Windows 7 clients on the same network, and got the same result (it looks like it's deleting, but nothing actually gets deleted). I even tried using the HTTP web interface, and it pretends to delete the files but then returns a "0 files and directories deleted" message when it's done processing.

What gives? I've been running this NAS for around 5 years and never had a problem deleting files before. Is this a permission issue? Do I need to start from scratch and rebuild?

The only other clue I can think of is that the NAS was powered down yesterday and I know it does the RAID replication process when it boots up. Is it possible I just need to wait a few more hours before trying to delete anything?
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Strange - Cannot Delete Files or Folders in Shares

Have you tried rebooting your Windows 7 PC then trying again?

Do you have a backup?
Message 2 of 6
BMWBig61
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response! Yes, I've rebooted several times (and tried from different computers) to confirm it was not just one client having the issue.

What kind of backup are you referring to? I have not used the "Backup Now" feature. There are other shares on the NAS that I'd like to preserve, and I'm only trying to delete certain files/folders within an existing share ("Backup"), so that's why I'm trying to delete them manually through Windows Explorer or the web browser. Is there a way to locally delete them (by logging in directly to the ReadyNAS)? I didn't see that option in Frontview.
Message 3 of 6
BMWBig61
Aspirant

Just to make sure, I checked for a firmware update:

"The system is already running the latest firmware."
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps used the advanced options tab to reset permissions on the share?: http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/10/overview-of-readynas-permissions_1643.html

Then try again.
Message 5 of 6
BMWBig61
Aspirant

I think you nailed it! I don't know what changed (why I suddenly couldn't delete any files/folders), but when I went to verify the settings on my advanced tab, certain settings didn't match the link you sent. I checked the 2 boxes for:

- Set ownership and permission for existing files...
- Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owners of files

But that alone didn't work. I had to change the share folder owner to the admin account and the share folder group to "users" before it would allow me to delete anything. Once I applied the new advanced settings, I could immediatlely delete from the HTTP protocol only. Windows Explorer delete requests still failed, but I think it's because I was impatient. A few minutes later, Frontview reported that the new permissions had finished cascading. I re-tried deleting from Windows Explorer and it worked! I think I'm back in business thanks to your help! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! (That wasn't too painful!)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements