× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sync Ubuntu 1000 UID with ReadyNAS -- Invalid UID

MHILDEBRANT
Aspirant

Sync Ubuntu 1000 UID with ReadyNAS -- Invalid UID

Sorry for the NAS noob questions but I just got a ReadyNAS NV+ and am trying to sync user "mark" on the ReadyNAS with my Ubuntu user mark. Ubuntu user mark has UID 1000 which is the default for the first Ubuntu user and I have done a lot of work as this user. Whenever I try to create a user of mark on the ReadyNAS with UID 1000 it fails with a "Invalid User ID [1000]" error message and no further explanation. Ubuntu user mark will be the main user accessing the ReadyNAS shares over the NFS protocol, but mark and other users from Windows XP SP-3 and Windows 7 boxes will be accessing the shares over the CFS protocol.

My ReadyNAS is on RAIDiator 4.1.6 which my FrontView update dialog says is the latest version. I am using the "User" security mode. I am setting my CIFS and NFS default access to read-only and am enabling CIFS write access for user mark and NFS write access for my Ubuntu box. I am mounting my first test ReadyNAS share on my Ubuntu box with this fstab line for now:
192.168.3.220:/media /foo nfs soft,bg 0 0

Is there any way to sync Ubuntu user mark UID with a ReadyNAS user mark UID without going through the trouble of creating a new Ubuntu user account and chowning or replicating everything I have done so far on the Ubuntu box?

Is it important to sync ReadyNAS user mark UID and Ubuntu user mark UID when accessing the shares over NFS when users named mark will also be accessing the same shares from Windows over CIFS? What would be the drawbacks of not syncing UIDs?

Is there a way I can see why I can't use UID 1000? Some older posts say that I can look under the Shares tab in the users section to see UIDs generated for shares by default, but my FrontView Users section has no Shares tab.

A slightly separately matter, I have synced the ReadyNAS user mark password with the Windows XP user mark password, but whenever I try to map the share from XP it asks for a username and password. Is there a way to avoid this if username and password are synced? My experience with SAMBA shares is that authentication is automatic if the username/password are synced. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Is there any sort of ReadyNAS manual which explains these sort of sharing issues in detail? I have found and read one ReadyNAS manual but it is very sketchy on these type of details.

thanks much,
Mark
Message 1 of 6
Fatman1
Aspirant

Re: Sync Ubuntu 1000 UID with ReadyNAS -- Invalid UID

I'm having this exact issue. Why can't I have UID 1000?

Regards,
Adam J Richardson
Message 2 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

UID 1000 is assigned to a user called "backup" which is created when a ReadyNAS is factory defaulted.

This is a legacy of a old feature that is no longer supported (Share security mode, available on the NV+ and possibly other Sparc based ReadyNAS)
Message 3 of 6
Fatman1
Aspirant

It conflicts with Ubuntu - UID 1000 is the first user created. This is a problem as ideally the UID will be the same across the domain.

Is there anything that can be done to make it work? Can I delete the "backup" user somehow?
Message 4 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

Only if you enable SSH access and manually modify /etc/passwd
Message 5 of 6
Fatman1
Aspirant

There we go - I have:

1. installed the SSH mod
2. checked user 'backup' isn't actually the owner of anything
3. deleted user 'backup' by the deluser command

Then I added user 'fatman' in the web UI, specifying UID=1000. It worked! I checked in /etc/passwd and all appears to be well.

Thanks sphardy!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements