× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What happens to application settings and home directories if you "DESTROY" the volume they are on?

jlficken
Aspirant

What happens to application settings and home directories if you "DESTROY" the volume they are on?

Basically I need to send the drives back that make up the RAID 1 volume that the Home folders and application directories (for Plex, etc) reside on.  What happens if I destroy that volume?  Will all of those folders migrate over to my other volume since there is enough space for them?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: What happens to application settings and home directories if you "DESTROY" the volume

Destroying volume will remove everything in the disks,you can configure backup in admin console to backup home folder to other volume.

subvolume "apps" will be created automatically to other volume if you destroy the first volume.but you will need to reinstall apps again.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: What happens to application settings and home directories if you "DESTROY" the volume

Destroying volume will remove everything in the disks,you can configure backup in admin console to backup home folder to other volume.

subvolume "apps" will be created automatically to other volume if you destroy the first volume.but you will need to reinstall apps again.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I did this a while back (but not recently) - my recollection was that both the home folders and the apps folder were migrated to the remaining volume, with no need to reinstall anything.  Though I don't use the home folders, so I likely didn't check very carefully.

I suggest backing everything up, then destroy the volume.  After that, check to see what was migrated before you restore everything.  Let us know what you find.

Also, document your app settings, and make sure you have the deb files for any third-party apps you have installed.

Message 3 of 5
jlficken
Aspirant

I took the plunge and gave it a try last night.

Basically, the Home directories/shares moved over to the remaining share but I don't use them so I'm not sure if data moved too.

The original reply to this topic was correct in that the 3rd party applications do disappear.  Happily I mainly only run Plex so I had a backup of my database, reinstalled it, put the db back in, and I am good to go mainly besides refreshing all of the metadata.

It did take 3 tries with "DESTROY" to get the volume to actually disappear which was weird to me but it did go away.

My new WD Gold 10TB drives arrive tomorrow so I will try this all again.  I wish it didn't take 4+ days to sync these drives though 😞

I am a bit obsessive with backups so I moved everything from this volume to my main volume since I had space, I have this NAS back up to a RN102, and I have offline backups that are stored off-site as well so I'm good there.  Thanks for the tip though!!

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@jlficken wrote:

I am a bit obsessive with backups

Having an on-line backup for fast recovery and off-site for disaster recovery sounds appropriate to me.

I use Crashplan for disaster recovery myself (and also have backup NAS), so our approach is similar.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements