Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using another router as a modem

Raptor2213
Follower

Using another router as a modem

I have a fairly unusual question, and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I have a T-Mobile Hotspot that I got for free on a recent promotion.  I'd like to use it as a backup source of internet while I'm at home (and occasionally take with me on trips).  I already have a bridge that I can use to convert the signal to a LAN port, but I can't seem to figure out a way of getting the router to recognize it an an active port.  I think this is because I'm basically connecting another router to another router's WAN port.  

Any suggestions for configuration?

T-Mobile LINKZONE (Hotspot)

TL-MR3020 (Bridge)

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using another router as a modem

Hi Raptor2213,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I believe this should work.  The T-Mobile LINKZONE  would be connected to the TL-MR3020.  Then, you will need to connect the LAN port of the TL-MR3020 to the WAN port of the SRX5308.  Of course, proper configuration is needed.  Be reminded that this setup will result to a Double NAT scenario since the SRX5308 is behind another router which is the TL-MR3020.

Kindly answer the questions below:

1. On this setup: [T-Mobile LINKZONE  connected to the TL-MR3020], are you able to go online just fine?  

2. Related to question #1, what is the private IP range that it gives you?  For example: 192.168.1.0 IP range.  Be reminded that the default private IP range of the SRX5308 is 192.168.1.0.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using another router as a modem

Hi Raptor2213,

I just want to follow-up on this.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team