Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which License for Email protection?

mpruss
Aspirant

Which License for Email protection?

Hello,

we have a UTM50 since 2013. The first license period is expiring now.

We use Email Protection but do not use the Web Protection anymore.

I already updated our EMail Protection license that is valid until 1.1.2017.

Our Web Protection will expire in 3 days.

The system sent me an email today:

"Critical functions like filtering malware-infested URLs, blocking productivity-sapping websites, scanning and cleaning virus-infected downloads, as well as email SPAM blocking are all dependent on these licenses"

Is it possible that SPAM-blocking depends ob the Web protection not on the Email Protection.

That would be a strange behavior.

The information in the Netgear support pages says something different: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20830

What ist the right information?

Can somebody explain it.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Model: UTM50|ProSecure Web/Email Threat Manager
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mpruss
Aspirant

After the license for web protection expired last weekend the firewall is still blocking SPAM emails.

So i think it was a general message about license expiring, but from my point of view this kind of message is very annoying because you never know if there would be a problem with spam filtering if you do not buy a license for web protection.

Such kind of email causes "fear".

If spam filtering would be stopped we would receive hundreds of spam emails and that would cause chaos.

I hope netgear changes the expiring messages to be more accurate.

Thanks

Michael

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mpruss, 

That could be just a general message about the license expiring, the UTM filters by services and ports being used. On Web services, it scans HTTP, HTTPS and FTP so I'm thinking it could pertain to SPAM blocking on web-emails. It would not be possible that it will depend on Web Protection to scan SPAM since the services covered on the E-mail protection are SMTP, SMTPS, POP3, POP3S, IMAP and IMAPS. 

I'll try to see if I can find more information regarding the system email you received. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 4
mpruss
Aspirant

After the license for web protection expired last weekend the firewall is still blocking SPAM emails.

So i think it was a general message about license expiring, but from my point of view this kind of message is very annoying because you never know if there would be a problem with spam filtering if you do not buy a license for web protection.

Such kind of email causes "fear".

If spam filtering would be stopped we would receive hundreds of spam emails and that would cause chaos.

I hope netgear changes the expiring messages to be more accurate.

Thanks

Michael

Message 3 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mpruss, 

That's what I thought. I am not sure if there will be upcoming updates for the UTMs, but what you can do is to post your request on our Idea Exchange Board. This board is monitored by our engineers, the more people like the request the more likely it will be implemented. 

Hope it helps. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements