× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Wifi Adaptor A6210 connection issues

MrMurica11
Aspirant

USB Wifi Adaptor A6210 connection issues

I purchased this adaptor on Oct. 2, 2021 and didn't really have any issues with it. After a little while I noticed whenever I booted my pc, it would keep connecting and disconnecting from my school's wifi.   As well, this would happen during my use with the computer and when I clicked the  internet symbol on the bottom right of my screen, it would switch from showing all the available networks to none.  As I began to explore, sometimes when the adaptor wouldn't show available networks at all, I would look in my windows settings under the  "Bluetooth & other devices" tab and it would show it as connected but say the setup was incomplete and to please connect to the internet. If I unplugged and plugged it back in it would work but still connect and disconnect from networks for at least a minute before holding a connection. As well, I would keep hearing the windows connection and disconnection sound and looked at the same tab of  my windows settings and see that the message under the adaptor would  switch back and forth with every connection sound between "Connecred to usb3.0" and  "Device can perform faster when connected to usb3.0" which is surprising and makes no sense. My motherboard is an Asus STRIX B-350-F  Gaming motherboard. On the back panel the motherboard has   2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s),  4x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s),  and 2 x USB 2.0 port(s). I had it plugged the usb 3.1 gen ports. I did at one point switch it to the front panel of my tower that had a usb 3.0 port and it rapidly switched between "connected to usb 3.0" and  "Device can perform faster when connected to usb3.0" every second if not faster. I now have to let me pc sit for 5 minutes after I boot it up  to let it run its course of connecting and disconnecting to networks and then let it get a stable connection, if it doesnt give me  a message saving driver error.   When I am connected and observe my wifi tab under performance in task manager, there are spikes where no data is sent or received for 5-10 seconds and then it resumes for a little bit, all while saying I am connected to internet. The best solution I have found for this, is to have a Twitch stream open and the connection always  has a constant feed of sending and receiving data in the wifi tab of task manager.  

So far, what I have done to try and help: 

1. Gone to device manager, clicked on the adaptor under "Network Adaptors" and turned off  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  under "Power Management."

2. Repeated this for my USB ports in  device manager

3.   Changed "Max USB Speed" to USB 3.0  and USB Auto and changed "Channel; Mode" to "2.4G + 5G" and "5G  Only."

4. Plugged the adaptor into different USB ports.

None of these have produced any notable results.

I wanted to submit a ticket but my support expired a couple months ago. I'm done trying my own solutions and need help. 

My specs:

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
RAM: 32gb at 2400mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING 

(motherboard doesn't have most recent bios update)

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Re: USB Wifi Adaptor A6210 connection issues

@MrMurica11 wrote:

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING 

(motherboard doesn't have most recent bios update)

The BIOS is much less important than the chipset drivers.

Things like USB rely on third party drivers, The support pages for your motherboard usually have a bunch of updates on the originals.

The symptoms you describe certainly sound like something at that level.

Message 2 of 8
MrMurica11
Aspirant

Ah, makes sense. I found the most recent chipset driver on the page for my mobo. I'll update it and see what happens

Message 3 of 8
MrMurica11
Aspirant

So I updated the chipset to the most recent version. Just as a note, when I went to AMD's site and found my chipset, it had a more recent version than my ASUS' site did so I downloaded the AMD one. I also tried to update my bios for the hell of it but it failed to read the cap file. After updating the chipset though it still did the weird connecting and disconecting between the messages I mentioned before with the "Device can perform faster when..." and "Connected to usb 3.0" and one time when I restarted my pc it gave me a strange message, I attached the screenshot of it from settings.  It said the adaptor was an unknown USB device and that the device descriptor failed, along with incomplete setup. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The adaptor did lose connection again randomly. Not sure if it been a full proof solution but I feel it may have  helped a bit. 

Message 4 of 8

@MrMurica11 wrote:

Not sure if it been a full proof solution but I feel it may have  helped a bit. 

It does hint that the problem may be with the PC.

You could also remove the adapter completely. And that includes going into Device Manager and deleting all "hidden" entries for related USB and network adapter things.

Wifi adaptersWifi adapters

Message 5 of 8
MrMurica11
Aspirant

That's what I'm afraid of now. Not sure what could be wrong. Also, what would deleting it in device manager do? Sorry if it's obvious but I'm not sure. 

Message 6 of 8

If it is working OK, leave well alone.

Don't mess around unless you have more problems.

Message 7 of 8
MrMurica11
Aspirant

Gotcha, makes sense. Thank you for your help! I'll post on this again if I find new or recurring issues. Thank you again

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7