× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6 hours ans i absolutely hate netgear

Blupeecio
Initiate

6 hours ans i absolutely hate netgear

We have the ac1750 wifi dualband router. And it was working fine with the modem surfboard 50mpbs. We upped our internet to the giga blast Cox. But with the best surfboard 3.1 , 10 g. MODEL SB8200. And it won't detect the internet. The modem works. We connected it through the ethernet cable. And it runs. Just the router won't connect to the internet. Don't tell me sequences of offs and ons. Because that doesn't work. 6 hours of constant plugging and unplugging has me ready to set it on fire. I gave up. I tried doing the routerlogin.net. Nope. Says it is not connecting to the internet. I give up.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The router worked fine prior to switching speeds/modems? 

Which router do you have? AC1750 is a speed, not a model.

What firmware is on it? 

Somethign to keep in mind with the arris sb8200 is that it has 2 ports. but only 1 is usable for the average user. Reason why is its either used for wan port aggregation (which most routers don't have) or used for isp's that allow multiple public ip addresses (most don't). 

Try this.

Completely disconnect the modem from the router/other devices and the coax and power it off. Also power off the router. 

Then follow this procedure. 

1. hook coax back up to modem.

2. power it on with only coax hooked to the modem. Give it several minutes to fully boot. 

3. connect port 1 on the modem to the wan port on the router.  Make sure nothing else is plugged into the modem. 

4. power the router on. Give it several minutes. 

5. Then try setup/usage of the router. 

You'd also want to check within the SB8200 to make sure port aggregation is disabled. That can cause issues as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The router worked fine prior to switching speeds/modems? 

Which router do you have? AC1750 is a speed, not a model.

What firmware is on it? 

Somethign to keep in mind with the arris sb8200 is that it has 2 ports. but only 1 is usable for the average user. Reason why is its either used for wan port aggregation (which most routers don't have) or used for isp's that allow multiple public ip addresses (most don't). 

Try this.

Completely disconnect the modem from the router/other devices and the coax and power it off. Also power off the router. 

Then follow this procedure. 

1. hook coax back up to modem.

2. power it on with only coax hooked to the modem. Give it several minutes to fully boot. 

3. connect port 1 on the modem to the wan port on the router.  Make sure nothing else is plugged into the modem. 

4. power the router on. Give it several minutes. 

5. Then try setup/usage of the router. 

You'd also want to check within the SB8200 to make sure port aggregation is disabled. That can cause issues as well. 

Message 2 of 4
Blupeecio
Initiate

THANK YOU SO MUCH! it worked just like you said. So does it prioritize one port when its doing initial setup? You are a true life saver. Hours yesterday. From 2 to 8 pm. It defeated me. Gave up. I saw your post as I was waking up this morning. I said why not, give it a try. And boom! It worked! So question. Our internet provider says up too 994mbps. What's the realism to hit those speeds. I put a ethernet cable 6 vs 5e. And does shorter mean better? Like 12ft vs a 6 inch. I know when running long lines. Then it makes a big difference. Just making sure I get the perfect speeds. I went from 20 to 40 mbps. To 490 to 650 mbps. What helps that speed? Again I can't thank you so much. My wife and i are so happy you helped us.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Realistic hardwired speeds can be up to 940mbps (ish) when hardwired. 

You won't see that on wireless. 

And even wired, there's a couple caveats to hit that speed.

1. make sure qos, parental controls, armor, disney circle, traffic monitoring, access control are all disabled. When enabled, they have to inspect the traffic and the cpu has to do that. Its not a powerful cpu and drops speeds  significantly. 

2. Make sure you're test on mutliple speed servers. Not many can max out a gigabit connection

Wireless speeds are dependant a lot on the device you use. 2.4ghz is going to be much slower than 5ghz. 

If you're using streaming devices/gaming, make sure they're on the 5ghz. use the 2.4ghz for the lower bandwidth like ereaders, IoT devices, etc. Devices that don't use/need much bandwidth.

In terms of wires, you should be good up to almost 300ft if you have a good quality cat5e or greater cable.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series