× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A FRIEND RECOMMENDED ORBI BECAUSE I WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT MY SO-CALLED "SPECTRUM INTERNET G

Britopian
Aspirant

A FRIEND RECOMMENDED ORBI BECAUSE I WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT MY SO-CALLED "SPECTRUM INTERNET GIG" WIF

hey all - just moved to a new city and sadly the only internet provider is Spectrum (Charter). Other than their horrible customer service, cable seems to be fine, and internet only seems to work well in the room where the router is located. When I go upstairs, it feels like I am on dial up.

So I bought the TP-Link AV1000 Powerline WiFi Extender -- no dice. Still slow. Then a "trusted" friend suggested the TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter. Seems a little faster.

Then, the IT guy at work said, "check out Orbi" and here I am. I currently have the Spectrum issued Sagemcom RAC2V1S router and a Spectrum E31U2V1 Modem.

Is this compatible with the Orbi System? Is it supposed to replace the router?

Help.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: A FRIEND RECOMMENDED ORBI BECAUSE I WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT MY SO-CALLED "SPECTRUM INTERNET G

yes it replaces the sagecom router. Don't leave it connection.

It'd go: spectrum modem----Orbi-----orbi satellites.

Couple questions though before you buy.

1. how large of an area are you trying to cover?

2. What building material is your home? Many materials do a great job of blocking wifi and if your building is made of those materials, different avenues might need to be explored. 

Message 2 of 6
Britopian
Aspirant

Oh thank you! It's about 3500 square feet, two story. The house is standard i think .. drywall internally and outside looks like the foamy material. Forget what it;s called.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

3500ft is a sizable house.  The size that a single router solution will probably struggle at distances. Its around what I have and I'm running an orbi and 2x satellites with great coverage anywhere in my house. 

Is your router centrally located? this helps the most with the size house you have and a single router solution.

If its in a utility room (with hvac), do yourself a favor and get it out of there. 

Message 4 of 6
Britopian
Aspirant

Thank you! It's not really central because the modem is by the cable box which is by the TV in the living room. Would it make sense to move the wifi upstairs? WE have a loft that's more central and i used to have it there. The only problem with that is that my Ring cameras are on wifi and the backyard camera sometimes loses connection when I had the routher there before. Plus, I play video games downstairs and my PS is hard wired to the router. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

If your devices are that spread out, a mesh setup might work great for you.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7