× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2200 setup with multiple extenders

ss-69
Aspirant

AC2200 setup with multiple extenders

Hi,

After a failed attempt with Google wifi, I purchased an AC2200 to extend my existing Netgear R6400v2.

The router currently has a 2.4 and 5ghz wifi network setup. Different SSID's for each band ( Bishop and Bishop5).

I would like ot confirm I have set up the Extender properly and I have alos ordered a second AC 2200 to help extend the wifi into the backyard.

I also need to support both 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz devices across the house

My First AC extender I have selected NO for enable one wifi name and NO for smart connect. I have set the SSIDs the same as my main router. This all seems to be working well.

The second AC2200 should arrive this week, whne I set this up, do I do the same for this. I did read inthe fourm that I need to use different SSID's. but I really don't want more SSID than the 2 I have.

Is there any special set up I need to do for the Second AC2200?

thanks

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: AC2200 setup with multiple extenders

You can leave the ssid the same. However, it can cause the device you're roaming with to not switch from one device to the next. The benefit to the mesh networks is that the router controls which AP the device connects to. with using extenders, your device has to do this. It causes devices to linger with its initial wifi AP it connected to. 

Message 2 of 5
ss-69
Aspirant

So you are saying it is best to use differnt SSID names on the second extender?

so

router - Bishop, Bishop5

Extender 1 - Bishop, Bishop5

Extender 2 - Bishop2, Bishop6

for example

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You'll still need to manually go in and switch networks when you're wandering. Again, this is the problem when you move away from the router controlled roaming aka mesh networks. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Here's some info on smart roaming. the EX7300 does support it but I don't see the R6400v2 supporting it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059680/What-is-Smart-Roaming-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Ga...

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7