× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC750 Wifi Range extender Model EX3700 problems

den942
Aspirant

AC750 Wifi Range extender Model EX3700 problems

To whomever can help, I am trying to help a friend hook up a range extender to a CentryLink Router. The Router has CenturyLink printed on the front but it says it is a ZyXEL PK5001Z when you log into it. CenturyLink (ZyXEL PK5001Z ) SSID: CenturtLink7260 S/N S120Y41057260 The Extender is a: NetGear EX3700-100NAS S/N 4AMG9A7YAE902 The laptop wireless card is an: Intel Centrino Advanced-N6205, Dual Band The software is Intel PROSet64 v. 21.10.1 Laptop OS is Windows 7 Pro I have spent 5-6 hours on two occasions trying to get this extender to work. If I press the WPS button on the router and then the Extender, the laptop shows the two *_2GEXT and *_5GEXT networks. But, logging on to either one has no internet access. I can not log into the extender with either link listed. I can not log into the extender with a Ethernet cable hooked to both the laptop and extender. Also, after pressing the WPS button on the Router then Extender, I lose all internet access through the router, including the desk top connected via Ethernet cable to the router. When the Extender is powered on, there is no Netgear_EXT in the Connection Manager. So, the Installation Assistant is of no use, either... I also tried to connect a Smart TV via the extender to no avail. It shows the CenturLink7260_2GEXT but shows an error message saying No Download, which basically means no internet. I have never seen anything that should be this simple be so hard to accomplish. Netgear says push two buttons and everything is connected and ready to go. If someone can give me some guidance as to what is wrong or what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Dennis A. Quinter den942@bright.net
Message 1 of 3
den942
Aspirant

@den942 wrote:
To whomever can help, I am trying to help a friend hook up a range extender to a CentryLink Router.
The Router has CenturyLink printed on the front but it says it is a ZyXEL PK5001Z when you log into it.
CenturyLink (ZyXEL PK5001Z )
SSID: CenturtLink7260 S/N S120Y41057260
The Extender is a:
NetGear EX3700-100NAS
S/N 4AMG9A7YAE902

The laptop wireless card is an:
Intel Centrino Advanced-N6205, Dual Band
The software is Intel PROSet64 v. 21.10.1
Laptop OS is Windows 7 Pro

I have spent 5-6 hours on two occasions trying to get this extender to work. If I press the WPS button on the router and then the Extender, the laptop shows the two *_2GEXT and *_5GEXT networks. But, logging on to either one has no internet access. I can not log into the extender with either link listed. I can not log into the extender with a Ethernet cable hooked to both the laptop and extender. Also, after pressing the WPS button on the Router then Extender, I lose all internet access through the router, including the desk top connected via Ethernet cable to the router.

When the Extender is powered on, there is no Netgear_EXT in the Connection Manager. So, the Installation Assistant is of no use, either...

I also tried to connect a Smart TV via the extender to no avail. It shows the CenturLink7260_2GEXT but shows an error message saying No Download, which basically means no internet.

I have never seen anything that should be this simple be so hard to accomplish. Netgear says push two buttons and everything is connected and ready to go.

If someone can give me some guidance as to what is wrong or what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Dennis A. Quinter den942@bright.net

Since copy and pasted scrambled the post, I'll try this way.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

not all manufacturers of routers do a great job of setting up wps functions. And isp supplied routers are notorious for this. 

1. Check the ISP's router. make sure there isn't any special characters in the name or password. Also check to make sure there aren't any spaces. Disable any autofills as these can overwrite what you put in. 

2. When you hardwire into the extender, disable the wifi on your laptop. If the wifi is still connected, it can be trying to use that instead of the ethernet connection. 

3. use the smart connection wizard for the extender. Once you get connected, try the smart wizard as the wps issue could be an issue between manufacturers. 

4. Potentially you could try setting up the EX3700 in AP mode. hardwire it into the router to see if you can set it up this router and check/update firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3700.aspx

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7