× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cameras out of network range--Netgear range extender

um_chili
Tutor

Cameras out of network range--Netgear range extender

Hi all, 

I have four Arlo cameras stationed around my house, and two of them are far enough from the router that they cannot get a signal. When I sync these cameras, a green square appears on my home page with the message, "Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection." 

I recently bought a Netgear WiFi range extender (N300) to help with the weakness of the internet signal in the part of the house near those two cameras. For wifi generally, it works great. But it hasn't helped the connectivity of the cameras. I think this is because the extender creates a new network that is separate from the one the router and the cameras are connected to. Any suggestions about how to use the range extender to get the two remote cameras working? Thanks.

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
TheEther
Guru

You can configure the extender to broadcast the same SSID as the router.  Or you can configure the cameras to connect to the extender's network.

Message 2 of 9
um_chili
Tutor

Great, those options sound very promising. How do you reconfigure the extender to broadcast a different SSID?

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Connect to the extender's network with a laptop.  Then open a browser to mywifiext.net.  Go to wireless settings and change the SSID and password to match your router.

Message 4 of 9
um_chili
Tutor

Tried this and it did change the SSID but did not do  much for the cameras. Another poster said that a network range extender can't improve the signal strength for the cameras because the base station creates its own wifi network independent of the modem/router or extender. Does that seem right?

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Can you clarify, are the cameras not connecting at all or is the connection speed really low?

Did you confirm that you correctly changed the SSID on the extender by connecting with a laptop?

Are you sure the cameras are configured with the correct SSID and password?  If you temporarily shut off the extender and move the camera close to the router, will the camera connect?

What is the model of your camera system?  Some systems operate like the other poster described, but not all of them do.

Message 6 of 9
um_chili
Tutor

"Connect to the extender's network with a laptop.  Then open a browser to mywifiext.net.  Go to wireless settings and change the SSID and password to match your router."

Thanks again for this suggestion, which was helpful for my home wifi network generally even though it didn't solve the camera issue.

However, when I go to that site now (mywifiext.net) all I get is "New Extender Setup"--even though I've already got a profile and an extender. Has this web address changed? 

Message 7 of 9
um_chili
Tutor

Related to the above, is there a different way to change the wireless settings on my network extender? Again, thanks for the advice.

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

@um_chili wrote:

"Connect to the extender's network with a laptop.  Then open a browser to mywifiext.net.  Go to wireless settings and change the SSID and password to match your router."

Thanks again for this suggestion, which was helpful for my home wifi network generally even though it didn't solve the camera issue.

However, when I go to that site now (mywifiext.net) all I get is "New Extender Setup"--even though I've already got a profile and an extender. Has this web address changed? 

No.  Maybe your extender lost its settings or was reset to factory settings.  You may as well set it up, again. 

Related to the above, is there a different way to change the wireless settings on my network extender? Again, thanks for the advice. 

Earlier, you said you were able to change the extender's SSID.  What other settings are you trying to change?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7