× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use WN2000RPTV3 as wireless AP using Cat5 cable?

ChasCoxJr
Aspirant

Can I use WN2000RPTV3 as wireless AP using Cat5 cable?

I have a WNDR4300v2 router and I am getting poor wifi download speeds to the basement of my home. I live in a small ranch style home with a basement and for some reason the signal degrades even with my range extender sitting 6 feet away.

What I was wanting to try is to use a 50 foot Cat5 cable and run to extender from router hoping this will help to push better reception downstairs. Is this possible or will I have to do this using a second router?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can I use WN2000RPTV3 as wireless AP using Cat5 cable?

While many extenders can function as an Access Point with a wired connection back to the router, unfortunately, the WN2000RPT is not one of them. See the answer to question 1 on page 63 of the manual. It looks like the 2000 series extenders are all like this. The 3000 series and higher extenders can function as wired Access Points.

If you are willing to run Cat5 all the way to the extender, you may as well install an Ethernet switch and wire your basement devices to it.

You can also experiment with moving the extender closer to the router. It sounds like it's too close to the device. The ideal placement is mid-way, from a signal strength standpoint, between the router and devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can I use WN2000RPTV3 as wireless AP using Cat5 cable?

While many extenders can function as an Access Point with a wired connection back to the router, unfortunately, the WN2000RPT is not one of them. See the answer to question 1 on page 63 of the manual. It looks like the 2000 series extenders are all like this. The 3000 series and higher extenders can function as wired Access Points.

If you are willing to run Cat5 all the way to the extender, you may as well install an Ethernet switch and wire your basement devices to it.

You can also experiment with moving the extender closer to the router. It sounds like it's too close to the device. The ideal placement is mid-way, from a signal strength standpoint, between the router and devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7