× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't convert AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender (EX7000) into an access point

CNG_
Initiate

Can't convert AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender (EX7000) into an access point

Hello,

I am attempting to turn my Nighthawk router into an AP.

I can extend the wireless network successfully, but the issue I am experiencing is that when I plug the extender into the router, I can wirelessly connect to the extender, but I can't access the device settings or internet.

I have tried using a Cat 5 cable and Cat 5e crossover. However, the internet and access to the settings don't come back online until I disconnect the ethernet cable.

Thank you for your suggestions and assistance with this matter.

Kind regards,

CNG_

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You need to re-run setup and set it up for access point mode. 

So disconnect it from your router, factory reset it.

Then go through the setup process using the installation assistant. 

During that it'll give you the option of setting up as an extender or as an access point.

Set it up as an access point.

Then connect it to your router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You need to re-run setup and set it up for access point mode. 

So disconnect it from your router, factory reset it.

Then go through the setup process using the installation assistant. 

During that it'll give you the option of setting up as an extender or as an access point.

Set it up as an access point.

Then connect it to your router. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
CNG_
Initiate

This suggestion worked. Thank you!

After a factory reset, I set up the extender as an access point, and I am getting more consistent internet speeds in the designated wifi coverage area.

I am using a powerline adapter in between the router and Nighthawk. I noticed the internet speeds are 28% slower than if the Nighthawk was directly connected to the router.

Is there any way to change the speeds, or is the decrease on par for the course with powerline adapters?

Thanks again!

CNG_

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can test the power line. Simply plug your pc/laptop into the powerline where its located and test it. 

You do lose a bit of speed with powerline depending on a lot of factors so its tough to tell how much you should expect. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7