× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get EX3700/AC750 to extend WiFi

Icelordcryo
Aspirant

Can't get EX3700/AC750 to extend WiFi

I just bought the AC750 wifi extender and spent over 5 hours trying to set it up. First I attempted to use the WPS method, but the WPS LED on the extender never connected and never really made a connection to the router, failing step 2 of the manual's instructions. So I moved on to the Web Browser of the booklet and tried to do that. After connecting to it with my laptop, only Internet Explorer would allow the provided URL in the booklet to connect, and I could then finally start the setup process. But here's where it got strange. Despite having followed all the setup instructions; selecting "WiFi Range Extender", choosing my router's SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz, putting in the password, and starting the setup, the connection to the 5GHz band would ALWAYS fail, so I'd skip it to at least get the 2.4GHz set up. After setting up the extender's SSID and password, I'd hit finish, but anything connected to the extender would show "no internet" when connected. My phone redirected me to the setup page again, telling me "You've created an access point, but there's no connection". At no point did I try to set up an access point, but that's all it seems capable of doing despite my best efforts. Why won't it connect to my router?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. What router are you connecting it to? 

2. you're not hardwiring the extender into the router, correct? (in extender mode it shouldn't be hardwired into the router)

3. what firmware is on the extender? 

Message 2 of 8
Icelordcryo
Aspirant

The router is an Arris TG1682G, and the extender only has a download port, from what the instructions tell me you can only send data out of it to a device and not into it. I'm not entirely sure what the firmware is on it, and I don't know what firmware it has. I don't think I'd be able to update it anyway because it won't connect to the internet.

Message 3 of 8
Icelordcryo
Aspirant

managed to get the Firmware version: it's V1.0.0.88_1.0.58

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. a couple versions behind on firmware. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex3700

2. You didn't answer if its was hardwired into the router. It does have both extender mode and access point mode. if you're hardwiring it into the router, then you need to set it up in access point mode. If you're leaving it wireless, then set it up in extender mode. 

Message 5 of 8
Icelordcryo
Aspirant

I did try it plugged in via hardline to the router, and the Access Point mode works fine, but that's not what I want it do do. Using the extender mode doesn't work and it defaults to trying to be an access point. 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

It just means you set it up in access point mode and not extender mode. 

Factory reset it. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

then re-run setup without the extender connected to anything. 

Use the installation assistant and set it up for extender mode. I know you said you did that but if it works when hardwired in, its in access point mode and not extender mode. 

Message 7 of 8
Icelordcryo
Aspirant

Just tried to set it up in extender mode with the ethernet plugged into it, and while it is able to finally connect to the router properly (the router LED lit up, but the WPS one was still dark), it somehow messes up the internet connection of other devices that aren't even using it. My desktop started intermittently loosing connection to the internet despite being connected directly to the router through a hardline, and my phone started giving me "connection lost" errors. 

I'm just going to return the extender. It's a lost cause.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7