× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Different IP address range for Wi-Fi Extender EX6150-100NAS

issaquah
Initiate

Different IP address range for Wi-Fi Extender EX6150-100NAS

I would like to use my EX6150-100NAS Extender as a GUEST network. Therefore it would be great if I could set the IP on the Extender to be something DIFFERENT from the IP range on the main network.

Is this possible??

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

An extender does not have a DHCP server, so it will not be possible to accomplish what you want on its own.

What you will need is either 1) a router that can support multiple subnets (IP ranges) or 2) two routers, one connected to the other.  

Most consumer-grade routers lack support for multiple subnets unless you install 3rd-party firmware, like DD-WRT.

Two routers is easier to set up.  The main network would go behind the second router, while the guest network would go behind the first router.  Unfortunately, this setup can cause problems for devices on the main network because of double NATing.

Personally, I have a variation of the two router setup.  The first router is the ISP's box and I use its Wi-Fi to provide guest access.  This router has a pseudo-bridge mode that bypasses NAT for exactly one device.  I have a second router designated as that device, behind which I have my main network.

Finally, if you are willing to relax the requirement for a separate IP range for your guest network, then you can always enable the guest Wi-Fi on your main router (presuming it supports it) and use the EX6150 to exclusively extend it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

An extender does not have a DHCP server, so it will not be possible to accomplish what you want on its own.

What you will need is either 1) a router that can support multiple subnets (IP ranges) or 2) two routers, one connected to the other.  

Most consumer-grade routers lack support for multiple subnets unless you install 3rd-party firmware, like DD-WRT.

Two routers is easier to set up.  The main network would go behind the second router, while the guest network would go behind the first router.  Unfortunately, this setup can cause problems for devices on the main network because of double NATing.

Personally, I have a variation of the two router setup.  The first router is the ISP's box and I use its Wi-Fi to provide guest access.  This router has a pseudo-bridge mode that bypasses NAT for exactly one device.  I have a second router designated as that device, behind which I have my main network.

Finally, if you are willing to relax the requirement for a separate IP range for your guest network, then you can always enable the guest Wi-Fi on your main router (presuming it supports it) and use the EX6150 to exclusively extend it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7