× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX 7500 dropping ethernet

viclark
Aspirant

EX 7500 dropping ethernet

This has been a nightmare. Keeps dropping internet. Router Nighthawk AC1900 set to Channel 9 2.4G and 112 5G. All works well for 24 hours then drops.  In desperation I reset the EX7500 to factory defaults now I can not get back into the setup page to turn off lights or check what channel is set up.  Nighthawk App is useless for the Extender and does not support AC1900. Genie works for router but not Extender.  Mywifi takes me to the New setup page but goes into a loop when I allow diagnostics and updates.  Support is non existant. i have been a Netgear user over 25 years through four series of modem routers but never again.

I have had the same problem of dropping ethernet for months.  Seriously considering throwing the router and going to the free ISP supplied router and a TCPi/P extender  I have tried every frequency and today switched to a static IP setting for the ethernet.

Signal strength is always good and my powerline attached devices are solid.

Logic tells me it is something to do with automatic or dynamic assignment of IP addresses  but if the software denies access even if I knew how to fix it I could not.

Help please.  

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX 7500 dropping ethernet

Hi @viclark, apologies for the late response. May we know if you have this sorted out? If not, you can try the following.

- Setup the extender by hard wiring a computer to it

- Try using a different browser or computer

Message 2 of 3
viclark
Aspirant

Re: EX 7500 dropping ethernet

Hi Dexter

If only it was that simple. EX7500 is wifi only.  All browsers the same.  Nighthawk App supports EX7500 but not my Nighthawk AC1900 v2.  I tried using the Freebe Vodafone Router but download dropped dramatically.  It also set fixed wifi channels to Ch6 and Ch100.

My wifi cameras Heim do not like CH 6 but are OK on CH 9 so I am back to the AC1900.

I have reset both the AC1900 and EX7500 to factory sets and Ch9 Ch100.  Upgraded ISP Broadband to Superfast 2.  Cable to PC Download speeds are 32MPS.. 5G wifi to Android Tablet about 30 Mps  2.4G 28Mps (This was occasionally achievable on Superfast1). When I can get onto the Extender it shows links Green on both 5G and 2.4G on Router setup Ch100 but extender is Ch36 . I have 2.4 and 5G set the same SSID on the Router but separate on the Extender to force the cameras to the Extender not the Router 2.4 ch9 for range.  This is fine until the 5G link drops on the EX7500.  Genie tells me the 5G router channel is different from my Router Log on. Reset the router and all is well for another period.  It could be cross channel interference on 5G but the Extender tells me to set the router to Channel 100 plus.

I am aware the extender is on the range limit from the router but position is dictated by mains points and fixed cameras.  The obvious is a range extender that uses powerline to wifi. (not found one yet) or a setup lock on the router. Or it could be just the Network overload.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7