× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 not assigning IP addresses

vertering
Tutor

EX7000 not assigning IP addresses

Hi,

I've purchased the EX7000 recently to increase the WiFi coverage of my R7000 in my house. With a number of devices, notably my Nokia 8 phone, I don't properly connect to the WiFi network because the device doesn't receive an IP address. This a reoccurring issue.

Yesterday in the kitchen my WiFi connection on my phone constantly dropped and I could not connect to my Sonos. As the EX7000 was the nearest device, I decided to turn it off. My R7000 still has enough strength to reach the kitchen, so I could connect to the WiFi network and this time there were no issues at all. Somehow the EX7000 is not able to give IP addresses to devices, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance! 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000 not assigning IP addresses

you might try updating to the 1.0.11.116 for the R7000. Then try a factory reset and reinstall of the router. Its the backbone of the system. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

what firmware is on the R7000? (its not known to have the best)

When the Ex7000 is on/running, does it work if you hardwire a device into it? 

Message 2 of 9
vertering
Tutor

Hi,

I have an ISP provided router/modem, which I've let the ISP set in bridge mode, with behind my R7000 running is my main router, responsible for everything including DCHP.. The R7000 is running on firmware version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

The EX7000 is running on firware version V1.0.1.94_1.0.172. 

Just disconnected from WiFi on my laptop and connected it with a cable to the extender, and I got an IP address and an internet connection. Pulled out the cable and connected again to the WiFi network, got an IP address but not internet connection. 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

you might try updating to the 1.0.11.116 for the R7000. Then try a factory reset and reinstall of the router. Its the backbone of the system. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

Message 4 of 9
vertering
Tutor

Thanks for the tips! I've updated my R7000 to the latest firmware, did a factory reset and reinstalled the router again. After this, I did a factory reset on the EX7000 (just to be sure) and reinstalled it too. I sat down next to the EX7000 and plugged in a cable to see whether I could get an IP address and an internet connection, which was the case. Then I check the WiFi (pulled out the cable first) and with a WiFi connection I also got an IP address and internet connection. So it seems to be working, I'll will test it a number of times the next couple of days to be sure. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad its up and working!

Message 6 of 9
vertering
Tutor

Unfortunately, I still had some issues during the day, mostly on my smartphone, so I decided to do some additional tests again. Sitting next to the EX7000, my laptop refused to connect to the Wi-Fi send out by the EX7000, instead using the Wi-Fi of the R7000.

So, I decided to disable Smart Connect on both devices, and that seemed to solve the issue. Is Smart Connect recommended when using an extender and could it be related to devices not receiving an IP?

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've used smart connect with an extender without issues. 

You could always try using the earlier firmware. 

Message 8 of 9
vertering
Tutor

Yesterday I had Smart Connect enabled again, which resulted in issues again, as I played a shooter online and was seriously hampered by lag. Disabled Smart Connect again, and everything went smooth again. So the firmware upgrade and disabling Smart Connect seems to be the solution for me. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7